Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,837   Online: 892

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Leica M?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    darkosaric: agree with you about your points. However if I could only have one it would be an M7.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeter2010 View Post
    .....In reality, VERY few people recognize it for what it is and mostly think you are some kind of an anachronism for toting around an outdated looking film camera while they sneer at you with their D3s and 5DM2s with foot long lenses. I keep to my own, private pleasure at times like that......
    I agree with this in general. Once I was in Montreal with my IIIc (talk about being anachronistic) and I was confronted with amazement, but generally good wishes in my actually taking photographs with it. All too often though, the above quote applies, except for those seemingly few who know Leica.
    My Film Cameras:
    Leica M3
    Leica M6
    Mamiya 645AFD
    Leica IIIc
    Nikon F
    Nikon N80
    Minolta SRT202
    Minolta Hi-Matic 7s
    Minolta XG-7

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I have only one: M6. Best ratio of how old / how expensive, and has build in light meter.
    +1 Exactly the reason I bought an M6. Best value for the money.

Now if you don't need a meter than an M3 or M2 for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    M4, simple finder, easier(slightly) loading, .72 finder, faster rewinding.
    Over the years I've had each of them, M2 through M6 & think the M4 is the best overall compromise.
    FWIW, if it works don't fix it. Cla's as an annual thing is like flushing your money down a toilet.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And if we extend this question on lens: I have only one lens: summicron 50

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
    M3 double stroke. It was only Leica I ever owned. It has been gone 30 years or so (I was bitten by the SLR bug). It was intuitive for me to use. Perhaps some day ...
    Love mine, too! At first I thought a DS Leica would be slower, but learned that you can actually advance faster with two short strokes, and frequently do so with my M6 and M4-2.

So to answer the OP's question: If you don't need a built-in meter and prefer the 50 and 90 lenses, the M3 is your camera. If you like the 35 lens, go for the M2. If you want a meter, the M6 is great, especially with the MP viewfinder modification.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    If I could afford a leica it would be an M2-R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeter2010 View Post
    ... I love shooting film with a completely manual camera. I think it was Mike Johnston (and I'm sure many others) has said: It has everything I need and nothing I don't to make pictures.
    This is what I'm looking for, anyway... a well-designed and engineered walk-about 35mm film camera.. quick to meter and focus, unobtrusive, with no bells and whistles. Eventually, something my kids will inherit. I didn't mean to be vague in my question, nor start a ruckus as to which model is preferred over another.

Much thanks, Exeter, for your rationale. And, all, for your replies. I would like a in-camera meter, yes, as I don't want to approximate exposure (as another poster states). I'm not looking to buy, this instant, but am soliciting some preferences based on others' experiences, in order to start thinking about research and what to try out.

I'm also using a 4x5 for natural light portraiture.

Thanks, again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would recommend an M5. Best meter ever in a Leica. You can change shutter speeds on the fly without taking your eye off the viewfinder. Quieter than an M3 ( have both so can speak from experience). Better build quality than later Leica's. Again I can speak from experience. Way easier to load than an M3 which is a pain in the arse if you are street shooting.

Personally I prefer my 35mm lens but still love the 50mm Summicron when I need it.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    FWIW, if it works don't fix it. Cla's as an annual thing is like flushing your money down a toilet.
    +1. I got a M2, through my friend from a guy on here, that is missing the right strap lug so I had to tape it up. Everything else works and it won't be getting a CLA anytime soon.
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin