Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,662   Online: 880

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Leica M?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why so few recommendations for the M4-P?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Why so few recommendations for the M4-P?
    I've got one but I wouldn't describe it as "the one Leica M everyone should get". It's the last meterless M-body, very reliable but also a bit archaic. If I had more dough in my pockets I'd get the M6 TTL not because of the TTL-flash but because the viewfinder with < o > leds and the shutter speed dial turning in the right direction.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I own Leica M2, M3, M4, M5, M7, MP and CL, all i use in various circumstances. For an actual use, maybe, is important prefer a model with built in light meter.
    Ciao.
    Vincenzo

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got an M4-P and I think if I had the money spare, I'd like to trade it for an M6 to get an internal meter. But I doubt if that will ever happen given the prices.
    Steve.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Money no object: MP.

Money an object, but meterless okay: M3 or M2.

Money an object, but want meter: Zeiss Ikon.

The only Leica I don't like after using it is the M6. For its viewfinder, which flared too much for my uses, though others don't mind, so that's personal. And the only Leica I'd never be tempted by is the M5, for the totally personal and admittedly indefensible reason that I think it's unattractive.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    M2, 35mm framelines, excellent build and they're cheaper than dirt right now. The M3 is fine but who wants to be restricted to 5omm? All a camera is is a box to hold a lens so why spend a ton on an M6 or MP? Yes, a meter would be nice but you can get a cold shoe one for 100$

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used M's since 1959 it was used M3 I was 15, in fact I've still got it and it's never had a service but keeps on going.
    Since then I've had every model produced except M6TTL but do have a M7 and an MP if I could only keep one it would
    the M6 Classic. I rarely use 35mm these days as I use a Mamiya 7 for hand held stuff and 4x5 as my main outfit.
    I am sure I'll go back to the Leica's one day soon.
    JON.
    I prefer it in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will take any of them, M3 will be great. I'm just dreaming!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm RF
    M2. Best finder I've seen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeter2010 View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Because that question can have as many answers and opinions as there are people here, but: I chose an M6 Classic because -

1. It has a good meter. Some may disagree, but I think it's fine. Actually, I think it's excellent for the kind of work I do. (I'm not a 35mm zoner)

2. It is still a completely mechanical camera, ultimately an M4 with a meter. M4 would have been my first choice, but after having done some research and considering the similar cost of an M4, I like the bonus of not having to estimate exposure or tolerate an awkward little hotshoe meter. I like that if batteries go out, I don't have to stop shooting.

3. MP is very expensive and I think I'd hesitate to use it and treat it the way I do my M6.

4. The M6 I have has the MP VF mod ($250 I'm told) and while I can't directly compare to one without, I think it's probably a significant improvement and one of the reasons to choose over the MP itself.

5. M3 would be nice, but I like black and black paint would be prohibitively expensive, more a collector piece than a user and again, no meter. If in-camera metering REALLY isn't important to you, than M3 or even M2 might be a nice choice.

6. Not specific to M6, or maybe even Leica, but I love shooting film with a completely manual camera. I think it was Mike Johnston (and I'm sure many others) has said: It has everything I need and nothing I don't to make pictures.

SNIP ...

Best of luck to you!
    Andrew, I agree wholeheartedly with this posting, good used M6's abound and can be picked up for a good price and I would like to add that the finder issue on the M6 is annoying, the upgrade is worth the extra expense.
    Regards
    Charles

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin