Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,812   Online: 709

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leica M8 flash unit buying advice

I recently got a Leica M8 as a gift from my cousin and now I am looking for a flash unit. I am not a professional, but a serious amateur photographer. BTW currently I am looking at Leica SF 24D and SF 58 flash unit, but can't decide which one to choose. Need your help to buy the best one. I gonna check out http://www.dealrocker.com for discount and price comparison. If you have any better recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice gift! If you must use a flash (I prefer faster lenses and higher ISOs), get the 58 since it will allow you to bounce. I've never used a flash on my M8 (though I have the 24), but I use a flash occasionally with my Canon 30D, and the bounce makes for a much more natural picture, IMO. Unfortunately, the trade-off is significant bulk (hence trying to shoot with faster lenses, rather than flash).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    Nice gift! If you must use a flash (I prefer faster lenses and higher ISOs), get the 58 since it will allow you to bounce. I've never used a flash on my M8 (though I have the 24), but I use a flash occasionally with my Canon 30D, and the bounce makes for a much more natural picture, IMO. Unfortunately, the trade-off is significant bulk (hence trying to shoot with faster lenses, rather than flash).
    Thanks for your advice..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The SF 58 is a rebranded Metz unit. It is much larger than the SF24D but as stated the SF24D does not allow bounce. I have the SF24D and a Metz unit and only use the SF24D with my M's because of the size. My Metz unit is a handle unit for flash with a 21mm ASPH because you can't mount a flash on an M when the aux 21mm finder is in place.
    You need to find out if the size is a concern for you.-Dick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin