Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,847   Online: 680

Shooter
    35mm

Wrinkled Shutter with Oil on a Canon 7 or P rangefinder

I'm in the market for a Canon 7 or P for my son. I know wrinkled shutters on Canon 7 and P rangefinders are to be expected and don't usually effect performance. Does the addition of oil on a wrinkled shutter have any effect?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By my own experience, any oil on the shutter blades, slows down the shutter(non cloth) movement since its literally stickier than the shutter itself. Also seen it won't open fully because of oil/lube. Do not know anything about the wrinkle part for sure so I can not comment.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally I'd be wary of it. If I saw oily curtains I would assume that it was recently repaired/tinkered with and wasn't done properly, and that it's leaking from the inside somewhere. I'd try to wipe the oil away, and after firing the shutter a few times if it returned, I wouldn't buy it.

Just my two cents.

Wrinkles should be okay: I've had a few Canons with wrinkly curtains and they were fine.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oil on the curtains requires a COMPLETE teardown. When I went to Natcam years ago one of the first repairs I did was a Nkon F that someone had sprayed WD-40 into. I have never since had to take a camera that far down. Literally to the stripped chassis.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I went ahead and bought it as it was listed as EX and was $84.00. There is a cm long wrinkle but I had to use a flashlight to find five to seven specks of what might be oil. The body is in Near Mint condition. I guess I got lucky.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin