Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,011   Online: 678

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Color Negative Films

Haven't shot any film in several years, just ordered a Contax G2 w/45 off of EBay, and am thinking of shooting color negs (I have a Nikon Cool Scanner), but haven't kept up with color negative at all...shot a lot of color slide through the years up till 2004 & then went digital. Never owned a RF, and am very excited! I will scan and print on a Epson 3880. Suggestions?

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    You might want to give Kodak Ektar 100 a try. It's a relatively new film—very sharp and very fine grained.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you plan on shooting on the red end of the spectrum give one of the Kodak Portra VC films a shot, Kodak NC films are great overall films, and Ektar 100 likes the blue end of the spectrum, in fact if you shoot Ektar you may want to slightly overexpose (shoot at ASA 80) or it will have a blueish cast.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks E76, the specs look good as I'm looking for some high saturation. Have you tried it? I was last in Rochester in 1979 for a Biomedical Photography Workshop at RIT!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well, I am liking more warmth in my color these days, bblhed, but can't I just correct this in the digital workflow? I guess I will have to sample a few, and find what works best for me. What about archival qualities of color neg-is it any better these days?

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterE54 View Post
    Thanks E76, the specs look good as I'm looking for some high saturation. Have you tried it? I was last in Rochester in 1979 for a Biomedical Photography Workshop at RIT!
    I have tried it and printed it optically on Supra Endura. I exposed at ISO 100 and had no "bluish cast." Saturation is high but it's not overkill—I find it gives rather pleasant colors. It does do a great job with blues, but the reds and greens certainly aren't bad either! Since you're scanning and outputting digitally, I don't think you'll have much of a problem correcting the scans to get the look you want.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I will give it a try!

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am mostly a black-and-white guy, but I like Portra vc160 and Ektar 100, both, and Ferrania 100. For my eyes, Portra seemed to capture color more subtly or more naturally. Ektar has somewhat fuller colors. Ferrania 100 seems to me between the two. For inexpensive color fun, I like Kodak Gold 200 and Fuji 200 ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Congratulations on the G2. It is a real sweet camera. I shoot mostly Ektar 100 and have had good luck with it. Click HERE for a few examples. As noted above, Ektar when underexposed will take on a magenta shift along with nasty contrast.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Ektar is pretty wonderful and so are some of the cheap drugstore films too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin