Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,012   Online: 690

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hexanon AR (and others) to M conversions

I stumbled onto this recently on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/29ndemn

This first struck me as a bit silly and simply an exercise to show it could be done. As I think more about it, there are some lenses that might be worth the effort to refit to M body use. The seller also shows a number of other mount conversions but because I use Konica 35 gear, I was intrigued by the thought that certain focal lengths could be added for moderate cost to an M system with items that I already own duplicates in.

Not really knowing the exact needs for machining, especially the focusing coordination/framing lines, do you more experienced M folks think this is a legitimate exercise? Maybe this is a common activity and I never had reason to run into it before...? Thoughts?
    Last edited by craigclu; 08-07-2010 at 10:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do they all have some sort of vivitar ring on them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does the adapted lens engage the focusing cam? Then I ask myself, why put the larger SLR lens on the M at all?
    If it's for the challenge I don't see any reason why not, it's your stuff.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sure, it can be done. But are you that hard up to use a lens on an M body that you'll spend three to 10 times the value of a lens just so you can use it with a Leica?

These are interesting conversions, but I myself have better uses for my hard-earned cash. But I guess if you got it, you can flaunt it.

To each is own, the cliche says.

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    These guys, MS Optical R&D, can usually make any lens into a Leica thread mount. They usually run around 600-800 USD. But literally, any lens, they can mod. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/megaperls/4789402434/)
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought I'd record the name and address of the company instead of losing track of it after the auction....

The Professional #1 Camera
    21521 Gault St
    Canoga Park, CA 91303
    Phone (818) 713-9276

I understand the alternate comments and for the most part, pretty much agree. Konica has some glass that is available at give-away prices these days and the total package to get a look that you wish on a fast handling rf body could be useful for some applications. The 35mm 2.0, 40mm 1.8, 57mm 1.2 and 85mm 1.8 and some of the 50mm primes are stunning performers and some are also well thought of Bokeh-wise. If I had a buggered up 57mm with working blades, I think I'd give it more than a passing thought. I'm sure others can think of a favorite lens that would be a good likely candidate, too.

Is the Vivitar piece some sort of altered TX hardware that he's using to space out the mount?
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    I thought I'd record the name and address of the company instead of losing track of it after the auction....

The Professional #1 Camera
    21521 Gault St
    Canoga Park, CA 91303
    Phone (818) 713-9276

I understand the alternate comments and for the most part, pretty much agree. Konica has some glass that is available at give-away prices these days and the total package to get a look that you wish on a fast handling rf body could be useful for some applications. The 35mm ƒ2.0, 40mm ƒ1.8, 57mm ƒ1.2 and 85mm ƒ1.8 and some of the 50mm primes are stunning performers and some are also well thought of Bokeh-wise. If I had a buggered up 57mm with working blades, I think I'd give it more than a passing thought. I'm sure others can think of a favorite lens that would be a good likely candidate, too.

Is the Vivitar piece some sort of altered TX hardware that he's using to space out the mount?
    The leica lens to film distance is less than konica or any other slr mount (Leica 27.8, SLRs 40+ mm.). So why a spacer???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I assumed a spacer would be required to get the lens to its normal distance to the film plane for the reason you stated....?
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    I assumed a spacer would be required to get the lens to its normal distance to the film plane for the reason you stated....?
    How the h*ll do I think? Of course you're right!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin