Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,665   Online: 979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Any Petri users out there?

First of all, I'm new to apug, and curious about any Petri Rangefinder users out there. I own a 7S and the 1.9. The 1.9 is well built, 7S is not as good mechanical wise, but both works wonderfully sharp, I acquired both in non working order and rebuilt both of them. So if you are a Petri user, what do you have? And what you have to say about them?
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Petri 7S is sort of clunky. Some of the earlier Petris felt better built.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a Petri collector kind of.. especially their rangefinders. Agreed, the 7S and 7SII are clunky and they're the only cameras that I used that are doing more noise when winding them than actually when shooting. But they do the job and are light to carry. Also they've got a quite good meter and no need for batteries... plus one of my 7SII's has the faster 1.8 lens and cost me 5 bucks... what else would you need?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got a Color Corrected 1.9 with the 45mm lens. I love it. Build like a tank. Bright finder and wonderful lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never ever heard about Petri growing up. I'm 45 now. This spring I bought a 7S colour coated f/1.9 at an estate sale. I don't think in ran more than a few dozen films, based on the condition of the leather ever ready case it came in.

I like to use it in outside shooting, where the CdS metering I still find reliable. Mechanically the shutter cocking has gone wonky a few times. Needs a CLA, but I only paid $40 for the camera and a whole lot of flash bulbs.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Petri Racer, and a Color Corrected Super 2.8 (green window), both are great cameras. The C.C. Super was put together from two non-working cameras, and has some wonderful cleaning mark induced flare in the lens.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 7sII I got as a teenager that I still use except for a small dent it is like new even the selenium exposure meter still works. I did have to replace all the foam light seals with felt & wool as they have perished.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I got a 7s in a lot of cameras. I let my daughter run a roll of color through it and was surprised how sharp they came out. Tried to sell it on the rangefinder forum, eventually bringing the price down to like $19. No takers. Perhaps Petri's are Love them or Hate them....

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    When I was in my teens and first getting into photography, the Petri 7S was popular as the least-expensive decent "real" 35mm camera there was and quite a few I knew bought them. I opted for a used Mamiya SD instead. Those who bought the 7S had good luck, but most of them wished to "upgrade" ASAP and often bought such things as the Spotmatic, SRT-101, or Nikkormat and went the SLR route.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 7S that belonged to my dad. It works fine in all respects apart from the focus ring being seized. I'd love to have it fixed some day because there's a sentimental attachment - it's the camera that all my childhood photos were taken on in the 60s/70s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin