Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,439   Online: 998

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Galah-
    What is the enormous design fault of which you speak?
    Well, simply, that it is a rangefinder -with all the limitations in usefulness/convenience that involves

(Of course, the reflex and (some?) digital models have avoided these issues.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Galah View Post
    Well, simply, that it is a rangefinder -with all the limitations in usefulness/convenience that involves

(Of course, the reflex and (some?) digital models have avoided these issues.)
    But isn't it often the case that one photographer's definition of "limitation" may conceivably be another photographer's definition of "convenience?"

And were that not the case, would we not all happily be using the exact same camera type in every photographic situation?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love people with the attitude that if it isn't good for them then it isn't good for anybody. A Leica does exactly what it is designed to do, nothing more or less. If you don't like Leicas that is fine, but to say that a Leica has design flaws is just absurd. I can compose and focus my M3 faster than you can focus your wonder af camera, guaranteed. Is that a design flaw? There are still many people who make a living using a Leica, perhaps alongside another camera, but they still are in use. I am not a Leica worshipper, but the camera has a specific function. To me it excels at that function.

Leica will only stop making film cameras when they are out of business. I get tired of these internet rumors. There should be a policy here that any "rumor" has to be verified before it is posted. Time and time again I hear about another film being discontinued when it is not true. Now Leicas are being discontinued? Use your brain if you have one left before you post rumors like this.
    Last edited by patrickjames; 08-25-2010 at 12:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not true.

Doom and gloom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Galah-

I thought maybe that was what you meant.
    Well, everybody's entitled to their opinion. I consider yours rather shallow and narrow-minded, possibly just ignorant. I certainly would not call it a design fault- it is the design. I have never used a Leica but I have used rangefinder cameras. To characterize a rangefinder as a design fault makes little sense. It is simply a different design. It is perfect for some people's way of working.

Usefulness depends on the user. Convenience? The characteristics of a rangefinder are what make them easiest for many people to use. SLR's are very versatile, with the ability to handle long lenses and macro, to allow previewing depth of field, etc. But they have their own shortcomings; "design faults" of their own. For example, wide angle lens design is complicated and compromised by the presence of the mirror.

Consider medium format SLR's. Which "design fault" would you like, because you're going to end up with something no matter what. A leaf shutter has low vibration and flash sync's at any speed. Along with that comes a limited top speed and no instant-return mirror. A focal-plane shutter MF camera will have a higher degree of shutter-induced vibration and a low flash sync speed.

How about view cameras? Versatile and useful in many situations and just the opposite in others. Not convenient compared to the other types but there's stuff they can do that nothing else can.

To call an intrinsic element or characteristic of a design a "design fault" makes no sense. These days a lot of people would say that a camera that needs film has a "design fault".
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Most companies are not going to say in advance that they will stop producing or selling (one of) their products. It's bad marketing.
    So "straight from Leica" is probably not more trustworthy than some rumour on a blog.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I read the blog and then the author's comments below it where he seems to be rather defensive but more balanced than in the original blog entry. In fact, he says that he was aware of some conflicting information surrounding this story but has "weighed the evidence" - which in this case seems to mean report on only one side of the story until conflicting comments force you to concede there is more to it than you originally chose to tell. Good journalism no doubt.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I'd like to get a new Leica, but I can't afford one. I'd settle for a used one, but I can't afford that either. Thirty years ago I could afford a new one even less. Or a used one even less. My 83-year-old mother told me my late father really, really wanted to buy one in the early 1950s, but he couldn't afford one then or even later in his life. He died being unable to afford one. I will suffer the same fate.

When the inability to purchase something - or even just to dream of purchasing something - becomes a generational thing, it rather softens the "blow" of being told that manufacturing of that thing has ceased. At least my son will not have to suffer a third generation of frustration...

Ken
    " It's sometimes better to travel hopefully than to arrive"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    I can compose and focus my M3 faster than you can focus your wonder af camera, guaranteed.
    No; you cannot.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    The following comes from another photo forum, posted yesterday:
    ================================================== =====

This is from "Leica Rumors" a few weeks back:

"I contacted Christian Erhardt (Vice President of Marketing Photographic Division, Leica Camera USA) and this is the answer he gave me:

“Your questions comes timely, in fact just earlier this week I was in our factory where I saw the production of Leica’s M product lines. While we do not have a constant production of certain lenses and cameras, we have the ability to produce batches of those products. For example: Certain exotic lenses & cameras are produced in batches to be able to produce an economically feasible number of products.

In this case the M analog production line is just next to Leica’s M9 production line to which we have shifted our focus to better manage the backlog and reduce the wait for our customers.

As you might be well aware from the past, we have always stated that as long as it makes sense for Leica Camera AG to produce M analog cameras we will do so. At this time we are reaching our targeted numbers for M analog cameras and do well with the offering of Leica M a la Carte cameras. Just recently Leica Camera AG offered a special Leica M7 Hermes Camera. This camera was quickly sold out and is a sought after collectors camera.

At this time I have no indication that the Leica M analog cameras will be taken out of Leica’s product offering.”

(My emphasis on last line)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin