Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,492   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Send it to Oleg. By tossing it and buying another, you're shortening the supply of cameras. By sending the camera to Oleg, you keep him in business and keep a camera in service that is no longer being manufactured. We all need to get off this throw-away kick. Not everything is meant for the trash heap.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Cap'n Slack: thanks, but I'd love to give it a shot myself...it can't be that hard

BobD: I know...but I'd love to fix this one...it's in gorgeous shape, plus it was a gift

ic: I keep monkeying with it, but nothing doing...there's gotta be a way to fix it, even if it means taking it apart
    if you broke the little part that catches the shutter, you will need to machine that part or find a replacement, even though the type of leica like shutter is not very complicated, you better have some experience under your belt and the right tools to do that, indeed if you value that cam, maybe it is better off to send it to qualified tech, there is a guy in NYC - google for Fedka, if you do not want to ship to all the way to Oleg in Russia.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    kiev's are that hard and worst.

You probably locked the shutter dial between it's selector and the slow speed mechanism.

the first thing to check is the complete or partial cocking. Just unscrew the black plate at the bottom of the beast and look at the only shiny thing, try with the right screwdriver to move it, on the other side at the same time try to move the shutter dial backwards (to the highest speeds) you have 2 extra mm on the shutter drums that can let you get threw your problem.
    Be careful and do it slowly.

If you want to try to handle the upper part, good luck the cocking knob spring is one of the worst ever built (don't let him go, and if he does try to stop him by any possible mean involving shooting it with a firearm, this spring left me a nice scar on the arm...)
    Réparation, Restauration d'appareils et équipements anciens, exotiques et modernes: http://www.atelierdeblanc.fr

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by codester View Post
    Send it to Oleg. By tossing it and buying another, you're shortening the supply of cameras. By sending the camera to Oleg, you keep him in business and keep a camera in service that is no longer being manufactured. We all need to get off this throw-away kick. Not everything is meant for the trash heap.
    You pay for it and I'll get right no that. Money's tight right now and I'm trying to see if I an fix this myself...which should be pretty obvious from the thread

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanc View Post
    kiev's are that hard and worst.

You probably locked the shutter dial between it's selector and the slow speed mechanism.

the first thing to check is the complete or partial cocking. Just unscrew the black plate at the bottom of the beast and look at the only shiny thing, try with the right screwdriver to move it, on the other side at the same time try to move the shutter dial backwards (to the highest speeds) you have 2 extra mm on the shutter drums that can let you get threw your problem.
    Be careful and do it slowly.

If you want to try to handle the upper part, good luck the cocking knob spring is one of the worst ever built (don't let him go, and if he does try to stop him by any possible mean involving shooting it with a firearm, this spring left me a nice scar on the arm...)
    Thanks for the help! No matter what I do with the shiny gear on the right, the shutter speed dial won't move

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Slack View Post
    Yep, you broke the Cardinal Rule of FSU cameras: Thou Shalt Not Change Thy Shutter Speed Until Thou Hast Wound It First.

I did the same thing once. Pretty sure everyone who messes with these beasts does. There is a solution, although it'll mean not having the camera for a bit. Contact Oleg through his website: http://www.okvintagecamera.com/. He'll fix it up at a good price & it'll be better than new.
    Thanks for the link...I checked it out and it's more than I can justify...for him to fix it and return it, I'm looking at $74 US, plus I still have to ship it to him, which is another $10-20. Since I already have a lens, I can pick up a body for half that at the most, but more realistically for a quarter to a third of that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Cap'n Slack: thanks, but I'd love to give it a shot myself...it can't be that hard.
    Then you may want to check out this: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-131.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The knob around he shutter release should turn counter clockwise, and spring back up. Down, and clockwise is the rewind setting. I just double checked my 4k, and if it is in the rewind setting, the film advance lever will pump like mad, but the advance itself, and the shutter are disconnected.

Shooter
    35mm
    CS: thanks, I was actually looking at that page the other day...interestingly enough, he says that what happened to me is highly unlikely...guess I'm unlucky

photoncatcher: thanks...yeah, I tried the knob around the shutter release in every possible position before posting Any ideas as to what I can actually do about this?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Try this, works well...Google Zorki 4 manual. The first one that comes up is butkus.org, bookmark this site for future `old' camera finds.
    The manual will state that you should wind on first otherwise you may cause damage.So its not a given that damage will occur. Plenty of folks have done the same as you without causing damage..pull it apart and have a look.
    regards

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin