Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,631   Online: 806

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

HELP!!! Zorki 4k jammed :(

Hey gang,

So over the weekend a friend of mine gave me a Zorki 4k he hasn't used in AT LEAST 20 years, maybe longer.

At first when I was playing with it everything was great...but after a few actuations it just jammed

here's what it does:

The winder lever was stuck, but if I hold the shutter release button down WHILE attempting to wind, it'll let me...now it'll wind freely...
    The shutter speed dial is stuck
    The shutter release button will go down, but will not in fact take a picture.

What's going on and now do I fix it? I was soooooo excited about this camera

Thanks,
    Tamas
    Last edited by LowriderS10; 08-30-2010 at 10:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    see if there is a rewind lever that you could accidentally flipped

Shooter
    35mm
    Where would that be? I don't think the Zorki has one of those...pretty sure you just lock the shutter release button with the knob around it and rewind with the unconnected knob on the left of the camera (as seen from the back of the camera)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    exactly, try to turn this knob in the other direction, also when you wind the film does the winder lever stop or you can wind to infinity? Is there a film in the camera now? I think on those cameras you can set your speeds only when the shutter is cocked, otherwise it might jam.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, I've done some research and I'm guessing it jammed when I tried to change the shutter speed w/out winding it (how the heck was I supposed to know?? )...anyways...what do I do now?

No film, lever keeps winding 'till it bumps into the body, turning the knob around the shutter release button either way has no effect on the problem

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yep, you broke the Cardinal Rule of FSU cameras: Thou Shalt Not Change Thy Shutter Speed Until Thou Hast Wound It First.

I did the same thing once. Pretty sure everyone who messes with these beasts does. There is a solution, although it'll mean not having the camera for a bit. Contact Oleg through his website: http://www.okvintagecamera.com/. He'll fix it up at a good price & it'll be better than new.

Shooter
    35mm
    Zorki bodies are inexpensive. Just get another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LowriderS10 View Post
    Where would that be? I don't think the Zorki has one of those...pretty sure you just lock the shutter release button with the knob around it and rewind with the unconnected knob on the left of the camera (as seen from the back of the camera)
    Keep playing around with that. My "4" locked up like that the first time I used it with film and re-wound it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Keep playing around with that. My "4" locked up like that the first time I used it with film and re-wound it.
    if you did not damage the shutter itself by forcing it until it broke, you could try to reposition the shutter dial30 degrees from its current position and try to rewind, sometimes the shutter is just misalligned, try not to force things, so as not cause more damage, if you are unlucky and that does not fix it, I would pick up another one, zorki 4 are cheap, cheaper than sending it to Oleg.(shipping alone is over $50 from USA)

Shooter
    35mm
    Cap'n Slack: thanks, but I'd love to give it a shot myself...it can't be that hard

BobD: I know...but I'd love to fix this one...it's in gorgeous shape, plus it was a gift

ic: I keep monkeying with it, but nothing doing...there's gotta be a way to fix it, even if it means taking it apart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin