Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,526   Online: 967

Shooter
    35mm RF

Russian Lens Recommendation?

Hey Guys, this is my first post and I have what I hope is a pretty easy question.

I just picked up a Fed-2 rangefinder (Russian Leica knock-off) that came with an Inustrar-61 lens. My only complaint so far is the minimum focusing distance on the lens which is 1.5 meters. Does anyone know of an M39 screw mount 50mm lens with a shorter minimum focus? Preferably something somewhat fast.

I don't have the money really to buy old Leica glass, but I know there are plenty of old Russian surrogates available inexpensively. Unfortunately most of them on Ebay don't list minimum focus in their specs.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There might be some info in this data . . .
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum65/7...reference.html

Look under the column titled "Entfernung" and you might occasionally find reference to the min/max focusing distances. I have the N-61 on my Canon III. I like it for three reasons. It has aperture click stops, it's sharp, and the focus ring is easily found in a hurry. I once had a Jupiter 3. Didn't much care for it because the aperture was always moving around, no click stops. I was about ready to glue it at f/16, but then decided to sell it.
    Last edited by anon12345; 08-31-2010 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I found this chart that has minimum focal distances listed - not sure if it's a comprehensive list, though.

Anyway, it looks like the only one that can focus closer than .9/1 meter is the Russar 20/5.6, which would require an auxilliary viewfinder.

Also, are you sure about your Industar 61 only being able to focus to 1.5 meters? I have one as well (an Industar 61 L/D, actually), and it focuses to .9 meters (and the chart I linked to indicates 1 meter, which is close enough for Soviet standards
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rangefinders in general have difficulties to focus closer than 1 meter. The usual gimmick to circumvent that (in FSU terms) is to get a Jupiter-9, 85mm/2 lens which gives you somewhat closer reach.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks everyone.

Mabman, you're right, it is .9 meters. I had to double check when I got home. Although, I have to say, it feels like something more than a meter when at minimum focus and lining up the focal image in the viewfinder for a close subject. More experimentation. I'm new to this but so far I love it.

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    2.5-3.5 feet is standard minimum focus distance for a rangefinder lens. The I-61L/Z is for an SLR, which gives much closes minimum - because it is an SLR. You will have to go with a short tele for the appearance of close focus, but with your FED, you will need an auxilliary viewfinder. you could a turret auxilliary view viewfinder, which would give you wide as well as short tele options.
    Your I-61 is a very good lens. you can always crop ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to echo what has been said. Most "normal" lenses that use the helical focusing system are limited to about 3 ft close focus. For slrs there are many macro lenses that will alow you to get 1:1 focus. For the RFs this was a problem. Paralax problems specialy. I was lucky enough to find an Orion 15 28mm for my Fed 2, and my Zorkis. But it still only focuses to a bit less than one meter. The Jupiter 9 is a great option, and a great piece of glass. Oh, and the turret finder is the way to go, as it covers the whole range of lenses that are readily available. What color is your Fed? They made them in many colors, and I have a really pretty blue one. It gets some interesting looks, and comments.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin