Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,049   Online: 892

Thread: Arsene Lupen

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Arsene Lupen

I found this picture when I was surfing for French Comics. Look at his eyeglass. I liked it very much.
    How such eyeglass been constructed , measured ? Is it full circle or a asymmetric shape ? What is its name ?
    Do you know a place which can make for me and with a harness - if the right name in english harness , I m not sure for that -

Thanks ,

Umut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails arsenetv0.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocle

From Wikipedia (link above):
    "A monocle is a type of corrective lens used to correct the vision in only one eye. It consists of a circular lens, generally with a wire ring around the circumference that can be attached to a string. The other end of the string is then connected to the wearer's clothing to avoid losing the monocle. The antiquarian Philipp von Stosch wore a monocle in Rome in the 1720s, in order to closely examine engravings and antique engraved gems, but the monocle did not become an article of gentlemen's apparel until the nineteenth century. It was introduced by the dandy's quizzing glass of the 1790s, as a sense of high fashion."

And everything else you ever wanted to know about monocles, except, perhaps for all the other questions you had like where to get one made....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have that book but it's an older hardback copy without a picture.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I you buy one, be certain to ask for a monocle and not a manacle!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or get one of each!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    I found this picture when I was surfing for French Comics. Look at his eyeglass. I liked it very much.
    How such eyeglass been constructed , measured ? Is it full circle or a asymmetric shape ? What is its name ?
    Do you know a place which can make for me and with a harness - if the right name in english harness , I m not sure for that -

Thanks ,

Umut
    Someone already posted about monocle. The best American English word for the harness is "lanyard," but some people would call it a "keeper." Both are correct to use, and both would be understood by most American English speakers. Not sure about other variants of English.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin