Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,060   Online: 868

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd get a Yashica Electro 35. They are a dirt cheap way to find out if you even like shooting with a rangefinder
    Yes they are good, however they may have the "pad of death" problem (or soon develop it). Fortunately, it is rather easy to repair. If you buy one, you can check this even without proper batteries : at the beginning of slowly winding, you should hear a loud "click", then everything is ok ; otherwise : pad of death !

Paul

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I should also mention that there are Soviet and French rangefinder systems with interchangeable lenses. The Soviet cameras include the Fed, Zorki and Kiev.

The French camera is the Foca -- both with interchangeable lenses and fixed lenses.

And I'm sure there are tons of other cameras that I've forgotten.

For anyone starting out in rangefinders, a low-cost approach often is best, because you get to try out a rangefinder without a huge investment of cash. And often a good place to start is with one of the 1970s models. You usually have to replace the foam seals and occasionally readust the rangefinder.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cromlech View Post
    I love my Argus C3, and it seems to have produced some very vintage shots.

Richard

PS. Although I do prefer the unrpofessionalist look and vibe, and my own personal style to be conveyed in framing, etc. That being said, the Argus C3 is my first rangefinder and in somewhat poor of shape.
    I have long observed that the Argus C3 is a perfect street camera: it's boxy shape and sharp corners make it serve as an excellent weapon.
    The lens, I believe, is a Taylor-type triplet and shows good definition when stopped down. The RF is squinty but accurate. Also, it is great for double exposures, intentional or unintentional.
    I still have my dad's; and a friend gave me his pristine C-3 Matchmatic, which had a "simplified" proprietary number system for setting f/stop and shutter speed; made easier, I guess, because it still has the (working) meter (also calibrated in "match" numbers) in the accessory shoe. It would be easy enough to relabel the Argus numbers, but, since it just sits on my shelf looking pretty (in a funky sort of way), why should I bother.

As far as the others recommendations are concerned, also consider the Konica Auto-S II--a fine lens and good RF, with automatic parallax correction. The Yashica Electro (IIRC) is batter dependent. I have long admired the Canonette GIII 1.7.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Petri 2.8 with fixed 45/2.8: built like a half-track, solid, easy to load ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and recommendations

I think I'm very close to making a decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post

Spend some time reading up...this is a great resource:

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

Good luck!

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post

Spend some time reading up before you finalize your choice...this is a great resource:

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

Good luck!

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Try a voightlander vitomatic or perhaps a folder like a Kodak retina 11c,I have one of each and they are both great shooters, Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Start with something easy and ligth; carry them in your pocket. Most of mines have 40 or 45mm lenses; 1.4 to 2.8. See if you like them first and by then, you'll have a better idea of what you want. My favorite is a Yashica Lynx 14e IC f/1.4, fixed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    If you don't mind an uncoupled rangefinder then a great user for street photography is a Zeiss Ikon contina 2 very small and pocketable,and light, but great for street photography,If you can find one with the tessar lens and compur shutter then that is the best, but those are hard to find, the nova lens and prontor shutter are more common, but they are very good indeed, stoped down to around 8 the nova is a very good lens,worth trying,Richard
    Last edited by R gould; 09-26-2010 at 12:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin