Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,207   Posts: 1,659,307   Online: 955

Page 34 of 96 FirstFirst ... 24282930313233343536373839404484 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just purchased a Zeiss Contax IIIa and a Sonnar-Opton 50mm f=1,5. Its my first rangefinder and I'm very excited to learn how to shoot it. I have a roll of Tri-X sitting here waiting to be loaded in once I've had a chance to read the manual.

I've been a DSLR shooter for awhile yet but have had a crush on rangefinders ever since I first saw them on display at my local camera store. Seeing images online shot with rangefinders sealed the deal for me. I wanted the Leica yet I couldn't talk myself into the startup and maintenance cost. Obviously worth every penny, yet a bit out of my price range.

About a month ago I purchased a Zeiss Contina IIa. After I got my first roll of film back from the photo lab I knew I absolutely had to have a rangefinder. I was happy enough with the results of the Contina that I began to research Zeiss and after a good deal of learning, made my purchase this weekend through KEH. The camera and lens arrive today and look to be in very fine shape. The kit appears to be a "user".

I'm from the Seattle area as an introduction, and I'm interested in meeting fellow rangefinder enthusiasts from this area. I look forward to participating in this community.

Shooter
    35mm

New purchase and canonete question

I'm the proud owner of a new (for me) canon canonete ql17 giii can't wait to play with it. Right now it's still in France (eBay, ya know) but soon it will hop the pond and start capturing California scenes.
    One question: with it's metering can I get away with a linear polarizer or must it be circular?

Shooter
    35mm
    Fell ass-backwards into a Leica IIIa together with Elmar 35/3.5, Xenon 50/1.5, Summar 50/2, Summitar 50/2, Elmar 50/2.8, Elmar 90/4, Hektor 135/4.5 and Telyt 200/4.5. There was also a Zorki-4 and various Jupiter lenses.

edit: cost was exactly zero...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BokehBurgher View Post
    I just purchased a Zeiss Contax IIIa and a Sonnar-Opton 50mm f=1,5. Its my first rangefinder and I'm very excited to learn how to shoot it. I have a roll of Tri-X sitting here waiting to be loaded in once I've had a chance to read the manual.

I've been a DSLR shooter for awhile yet but have had a crush on rangefinders ever since I first saw them on display at my local camera store. Seeing images online shot with rangefinders sealed the deal for me. I wanted the Leica yet I couldn't talk myself into the startup and maintenance cost. Obviously worth every penny, yet a bit out of my price range.

About a month ago I purchased a Zeiss Contina IIa. After I got my first roll of film back from the photo lab I knew I absolutely had to have a rangefinder. I was happy enough with the results of the Contina that I began to research Zeiss and after a good deal of learning, made my purchase this weekend through KEH. The camera and lens arrive today and look to be in very fine shape. The kit appears to be a "user".

I'm from the Seattle area as an introduction, and I'm interested in meeting fellow rangefinder enthusiasts from this area. I look forward to participating in this community.
    Welcome to APUG and the wonderful world of RF shooting. What part of Seattle? I grew up in the Burien/White Center area. Having the Cascade randge and Mt. Rainier as backdrops make me wish that I were back in that part of the country. There are a bunch of people here that live there And you should be able to hook up with some one, good luck and happy shooting.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianentz View Post
    I'm the proud owner of a new (for me) canon canonete ql17 giii can't wait to play with it. Right now it's still in France (eBay, ya know) but soon it will hop the pond and start capturing California scenes.
    One question: with it's metering can I get away with a linear polarizer or must it be circular?
    As I remember the circular polarizer requirement is for SLRs using a beam splitter for through the lens metering, or for autofocussing systems using beam splitters. Since the Canonet mounts its CdS cell external to the lens, a linear polarizer should be fine, and the exposure increase should be automatically accomplished, since the cell reads through the filter.

Looks like a sweet little camera!

Any other members care to comment?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BokehBurgher View Post

Yes welcome,
    I shoot Contax IIa and am on the lookout for a 50 1,5 in one of it's iterations.
    I also have a Kiev 4a with some Jupiters but the Kiev is really no match for the Contax as far as build quality.

Have fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    Great. Saves me a bit o' $ !! I'll use the savings for a canolite D flash and carrying pouch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianentz View Post
    I concur with GRHazelton. Circular polarizer is only required for auto focus cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just got a Kiev 4a, my first RF since my Leica M3 was stolen some 20 years ago. I was looking for a 'beater' IIIc or IIIf, but even those were more than I could afford. Then I read the Kiev story and was fascinated by the whole thing. Still haven't got any film through it, but I have a good feeling about this camera - 50 years old and both camera and case look nearly new. My only reservation is a little bit of 'play' between the back and body - does anyone know if this is normal? I guess I'll find out once I shoot a roll of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just got a Olympus 35 RD from a local thrift shop for $10. Case it came with was pretty beat up so I've had to throw it away but the camera's shutter speeds seem okay. Aperture and focus seem a bit harder than my SLRs but I'm not sure if this is normal or not since this is my first rangefinder. Outside is very nice and the flash hotshoe cover is still on it. The seals look like they need to be replaced but aren't falling apart yet. Again since this is my first rangefinder I can't say whether the viewfinder is too dark or is normal. I'll run a test roll through it to see how it performs.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin