Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,469   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bessa R2

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Bessa R2

I just received my Bessa R2 & lenses. I'm impressed with the quality of construction & appearance of the camera. I'd forgotten how small RF lenses can be.

If you are considering one, go ahead. I don't think it will dissappoint you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Burn a couple of rolls through it!
    What lens(ses) did you end buying?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah! What lenses. I am torn over a 35 or a 50 right now....

Too much choice....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nocton/1.5 looks great, but for general photography the Color Skpar 50/2.5 looks also good.

Just remember that you can use any Leica-M mount with this cameras (eBay maybe a good source) even some russian lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    The Nocton/1.5 looks great, but for general photography the Color Skpar 50/2.5 looks also good.

Just remember that you can use any Leica-M mount with this cameras (eBay maybe a good source) even some russian lenses.
    That is true. For my first foray into Leicadom, I am going to go with a Voigtlander lens simply because it is a more known quanity than a used screwmount or M mount lens. And for the price the Nocton looks really nice.

BUT....

Should I eschew say the 35s? They have some nice, very small ones out there, and this is a "street camera". I just sually don't shoot with a 35mm. But perhaps I should change that.
    ----------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's hard to say, it depends a lot on your personal taste.
    Is it possible for you to get a Nocton/50 and used/russian 35mm (aka cheapo) so you can try and see whether you like the 35mm prespective or not. It's a different worls
    Then buy a Voigtlander/Leica/Zeiss

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Lenses I got & why:

I decided on the 35/2.5 Color Skopar Classic (not the pancake) and the 75 2.5 Color Heliar. As the heart of my lens collection I wanted a 2-lens package for light travel.

The 35 was an obvious choice for me: I prefer it for the gentle perspective it offers. Others might prefer the 25 or 28mm, but those are a little too strongly wide angle for me--at least for a single wide angle.

The mild tele/portrait lens decision was based on the 75 being a bit more compact than the 90.

Ulitmately I may add a couple more lenses, but I've never owned lots of different focal lengths for any of my cameras, so working with just 1 or 2 lengths is intuitive for me.

I'm really looking forward to using this camera. It's been 35+ years since I regularly used a 35 rangefinder. The small size, quiet operation, and ease of use of the Bessa feels a little liberating--I hope to regain some of the spontenaity I had when I first started photography. While I love view cameras for the detail they can capture, and the controls they offer, the 35 RF offers the ability to just take a picture before you have a chance to think about it.

Charlie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well I weint with the 50mm Nocton. Mostly because I am used to it. I'll later do the cheap Russian 35mm and see how it goes. I will probably end up with a 35/50/90 setup.
    ----------------------

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I got the camera today and am VERY impressed. First of all, this is my first real rangefinder, and I really like the bright viewfinder. Very nice in low light. The R2 fits nicely into my hands. Very nice design there. It just feels good. The mechanics are all smooth and well designed. It is really a nice camera. I love mechanical bodies, so this one is right up my alley.

The Nocton is a nice lens. I haven't seen any results from it, but it feels very nice. Good size, and the aperture ring turns very nicely not too clicky, but you don't run over them either. The half stops are really nice to have on a manual 35mm. Nice touch.

I'm gonna take it through the paces tomorrow and see what I get.
    ----------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any pictures yet?
    How didi they come out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin