Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,591   Online: 1224

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Question about a Kodak Retina IIa

Hi all,
    I have recently aquired a Retina IIa in nice condition. Recently as in 30 minutes ago.

so, I have not made any pics with it yet.

However, it seems visibily that the lens is not parallel to the film plane.

Appears to be at a slight angle to the right when looking down on top of the camera.

Just worn old parts ?

Firmly, but also gently applying finger pressure on the left side of the lens/shutter, I can move it back to "visual parallel" and can see the arms and pins of the folding mechanism, adjusting to take up more of the useable slots in the mechanism.

Might this also be a sign of a previous owner, trying to force it closed, with the lens not set at infinity focus?

thanks,
    bryan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not sure about your's, but I have noticed that most (all?) folding type cameras should have their lenses "parked" at infinity before folding, and that it is inadvisable to meddle with the rangefinder gear (if accessible, as in the Voigtlander Vitessa) when the camera is folded.

Also, rubberneckers at sales frequently do not know how to release the catch that permits the camera to fold but try to use excessive force to make it fold anyway: this can result in some misalignment of parts.
    Last edited by Galah; 10-12-2010 at 05:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    True

Ok I called the previous owner, and here is a story:

First roll of film, good focused pictures.

tried to close it...then discovered the Infinity focus to close....

second roll of film: out of focus.

I will shot some film tonight and develop it...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This was at a distance of about 15 feet.
    no pp except re-size, scanned at 4800

Agfa APX 100, D76 5min.

focus on the Mercury lettering.

The camera will not focus on more distant objects. The rangefinder will not bring the image together. Another photograph revealed this to be true.

Some other photos are also not as sharp as this one, that may just be me.
    The boat motor pic is mid-range Fstop, 5.6 or 8... sorry I did not write it down

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin