Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,129   Online: 972

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The Jupiter 35/2.8 is a really nice lens. But it has a large rear element that might get in the way of the light meter. There is probably info about this on the web. If it is no problem they are about $50 (US) and are better than the Leica Summaron 3.5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Russian Jupiter 12 compatibility with the Voigtlander R and R2

Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    The Jupiter 35/2.8 is a really nice lens. But it has a large rear element that might get in the way of the light meter. There is probably info about this on the web. If it is no problem they are about $50 (US) and are better than the Leica Summaron 3.5.
    I asked Stephen Gandy (Voigtlander Dealer) Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net about Jupiter 12 2.8/35mm compatibility with the Voigtlander R and R2:

"Is it possible to use the Russian Jupiter 12 f2.8 35mm lens on either the Voighlander R or the R2? The Jupiter 12 is a Russian copy of the old Zeiss Biogon and has a large rear element. It was made with a 39mm screw thread mount for Leica-like cameras and with a Contax bayonet mount."

Stephen Gandy's reply:

"Most will not fit. those that do, will block the metering cell."
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I asked Stephen Gandy (Voigtlander Dealer) Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net about Jupiter 12 2.8/35mm compatibility with the Voigtlander R and R2:

"Is it possible to use the Russian Jupiter 12 f2.8 35mm lens on either the Voighlander R or the R2? The Jupiter 12 is a Russian copy of the old Zeiss Biogon and has a large rear element. It was made with a 39mm screw thread mount for Leica-like cameras and with a Contax bayonet mount."

Stephen Gandy's reply:

Don't ya love Soviet Era quality control....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    The soviets copied the 39mm screw mount, but at the beginning it had adifferent thread number than the german mount. If your NIR lens is old enough you may have a tough problem there.
    The Mir has been presented to the Public in about 1958 and it has the correct size and thread pitch to qualify for M39... just the wrong lens/film flange distance. Basically that Zenit is a Zorkii with a mirror added to the front... then they realized that 39mm aren´t wide enough for many non-Retrofocus lens designs and widened it to Start bajonet mount and M42 (which was already in use by Praktica - but on Soviet pressure. Rumours are that they had an order on SLRs from the Soviets and worked hard to fulfill the schedule... there wasn´t enough time to implement a bayonet mount, so the M42 design was chosen).

To use it with the Bessa or any other RF you´d need a step up ring of 45,46mm minus 28,8mm... and machine it in tolerances of +/- 0.02mm.

Certainly not impossible, but a major hassle. You´ll loose RF coupling, you´ll get an ealy non-retrofocus design... a J12 in M39 is better.. ;-)

Roman

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Robert,

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    Don't ya love Soviet Era quality control....
    What does a german design (Biogon 2,8/35) and soviet QC (which actually did exist at LZOS) to do with a japanese camera maker taking off-the-shelves modules like a basic SLR housing less the mirror box plus a standard shutter adding up to a camera... and that particular shutter is just a bit to close to the lens flange since it never has been designed to be used on a RF camera.

I have never heard of a J12 rear element actually hitting the shutter of a "Bessa" - it just protudes deep enough to block the light from reflecting towards the meter cell.

Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roman, please check the other responses in this thread.

I asked Stephen Gandy (Bessa/Voightlander Dealer):

"Is it possible to use the Russian Jupiter 12 f2.8 35mm lens on either the Voightlander R or the R2? The Jupiter 12 is a Russian copy of the old Zeiss Biogon and has a large rear element. It was made with a 39mm screw thread mount for Leica-like cameras and with a Contax bayonet mount."

Stephen Gandy's reply:

Tom Hoskinson

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Roman, please check the other responses in this thread.
    I did. But that doesn´t prevent me from judging my own experience and talk about it. ;-)

I can´t see any variability on side of the J12 lenses - but on the side of the Cosina bodies. Mine fits my Bessa L with a comfortable margin and others come close with their shutter curtains. But it never came in contact with the shutter and I never heard of such a case in "Real life" - and I keep tracking the topic for a few years now (owning and using sovkams of all shades and tastes).

LZOS (the source of most J12s in M39) hasn´t changed them that much - not optically, just a bit on the mount side (shifting from "White" aluminium and alloys to black enameled aluminium). But not on the dimensions - it would have required a recalculation of the design. Which hasn´t occured in the 40 years of production of Jupiter12.

I don´t know for sure since I never disassembled a Cosina "Bessa" body and I don´t think I will ever own another than the "L" stored somewhere around here - but could it be that they used different shutters in production?

Best,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guess I'll have to pull out my J12 collection and my micrometers.
    Tom Hoskinson

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Guess I'll have to pull out my J12 collection and my micrometers.
    LOL. Please. :-)

Really, that made my day. <g>

Roman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin