Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,973   Online: 901

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    it does say and I quote "Set the exposure time after shutter cocking. " If you want to know the technical things, if you do not set the high speeds i.e. 1000-60 right, it will not break the shutter, however when you need to engage the slow speed mechanism and the shutter is not cocked, you sill break the little lever that connects to the slow speed gears or jam the shutter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something---it lists the steps that are needed to prepare for a shot, and it does mention cocking before setting the shutter speed, but I couldn't find anything that said "don't do it the other way".

I'd like to know for sure, as I've considered getting a Kiev as a backup to my Contax body, but I'd find this restriction to be pretty annoying.

-NT
    I've heard it in a number of places. Karen Nakamura also says the same thing: http://www.photoethnography.com/Clas...html~mainFrame

You can always ask some russian camera repair guys. Why not just buy another Contax as a backup to your contax? They aren't too expensive on the used market and for the cost of buying a Kiev and having it repaired you can probably get one.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Also, European cameras generally don't use foam seals. That was a shortcut by Japanese manufacturers in lieu of a properly designed back.

When it comes to the Kiev (and many Soviet cameras), the quality of construction seems to vary considerably.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I stand corrected on the order-of-operations thing---evidently I managed to read right past it. (In my defence, I've had terrible jet lag the last couple of days.)

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Why not just buy another Contax as a backup to your contax? They aren't too expensive on the used market and for the cost of buying a Kiev and having it repaired you can probably get one.
    It's a thought. There don't seem to be too many fully-functional ones kicking around the used market, though. I see a Contax II at KEH, but it's US$275, which is a fair cut above Kiev prices even from a reputable Western reseller like Fedka. So, hmm.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, the Kiev 4AM is on its way back to Yuri (Fedka) to be traded for one with a working rangefinder and smoother movements. Joining it on its journey is its earlier travel companion, my Zorki 4K (I ordered both cameras together). It turns out that the Zorki, pretty and clean as it may be, suffers from shutter shudder (sticky and/or slow curtains) that causes banding on the originating side of the frame and underexposure on the other. Yuri has promised it a CLA. What a guy, eh?

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    So, a guy buys a Keiv and all is not good, then some conclude that it was purchased from an Eastern Euro country..but it came from Fedka..right? and Fedka is where?

Lets not become another Rangefinder forum aye
    regards

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Swensson View Post
    So, a guy buys a Keiv and all is not good, then some conclude that it was purchased from an Eastern Euro country..but it came from Fedka..right? and Fedka is where?...
    Yep, that sounds accurate, though I really did not want to vilify Yuri (Fedka) or his camera ratings. Sometimes things get in the wrong bins or the wrong camera is shipped. I have had that happen twice with KEH when EX stuff turned out to be closer to UG. For his part, Yuri has been extremely responsive and I am satisfied with the business aspects of the purchase.

The main intent of my original post was to determine if my expectations were too high in regards to how clunky the camera should feel. I was hoping to get responses from other owners indicating their experiences with similar cameras, so as to temper my expectations or reinforce my disappointment. What I have learned from this thread, other purchases, and a ton of other research is that condition ratings for FSU gear is variable depending on the item in question. Example: "Good" may mean "Good, for a camera made 40 years ago and for which no truly good examples exist". I.e. Not really good, but better than most of what is out there.

Steve

(Owns several FSU SLR lenses and loves them all. Never bought a FSU camera before this though...)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm probably going to get slated for this but.........My kiev 4 ('64) was working OK, but wind-on was a bit stiff, and slow speeds seemed a bit slow. Opened it up according to kiev survival guide and sparingly lubed the works with a little wd40 (I know, I know not recommended as it has a tendency to go everywhere, but I was careful). reassembled and it feels like a different camera. The wind on particularly is now really smooth, and gained a completely different action - more like part wind the film on - easy, then click, then a little more resistance in the second part of the turn as the shutter is cocked. Originally the intermediate click was missing and the whole wind on had the same pressure - stiff.

Not really recommending using WD40, but it worked for me. I think the cleaning action of the stuff loosened a lot of old solidified gunk.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks @ mr rusty! I am thinking that lube/adjust may be the key to getting a smooth working camera.

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin