Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,481   Online: 1080

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

easter NY, 2 miles so. of Canadian border
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I've got 2 fed2's and several Argus C3's. They all have their quirks but once you get used to them, they're fine. Nobody mentions which one fits your face. These two makes fit mine, and both have excellent lenses. Telephotos and w/a's are easier to find for argus C3's however.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you are used to your Dad's M6 you will be spoilt.

The cheapest M body is a beaten up M4-2, not as nice as a M2 (or a M6) but still fast handling, don't bother with a service us it until it breaks badly.

For a lens I'd get

for a 35mm a CV pan or classic in LTM f/2.5, no detectable difference at /5.6
    for a 28mm a CV LTM f/3.5, again no detectable difference at /5.6, and you can push your luck down to f/4 - depth of field means f/2.8 is real difficult.

These 28mm CV are more difficult to get.

Bulk/or cine film in IXMOO.

Noel

Shooter
    35mm
    Saving even more money........
    A Canon body and LTM lenses. Your film won't mind. Your wallet will be grinning.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I got a sudden need for a fast longish lens and accurate focussing in low light - and a noiseless camera - I got a Voigtländer Bessa T and a Jupiter 80mm f:2. I added an Industar 61 L/D 55mm f:2.8 for outdoors work..
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had the same choice a little while ago, went for the ZI, and don't regret it for a second. Zeiss service has been awesome, and it gets admiring glances all over the place. My brother has a Leica M6 and I probably prefer the ZI, not sure I'd say the same for a Bessa. I think the Voigtlanders look like great cameras though, and if you can spend the savings on a great lens, it maybe the Bessa is for you. In fact, if I broke the ZI, I'd probably take a look at the Bessa cameras, they're inexpensive enough to maybe consider getting two for the different frame lines.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Saving even more money........
    A Canon body and LTM lenses. Your film won't mind. Your wallet will be grinning.
    Hi Wayne

I prefer a Canon P to a M, cheaper and faster handling for street shooting. But you use M5s still? SInce LTM CV lenses were available the Canon P have increased in price.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Hi Wayne

I prefer a Canon P to a M, cheaper and faster handling for street shooting. But you use M5s still? SInce LTM CV lenses were available the Canon P have increased in price.

Noel
    i like the P as well, except for the fact that you can't use M-mount lenses on it. Whereas a M-mount body can take LTm lenses, so a M body is more versatile.

Another vote for a meterless M. If you can afford a new Bessa, you can afford a user M2.
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

flickr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasw_ View Post
    i like the P as well, except for the fact that you can't use M-mount lenses on it. Whereas a M-mount body can take LTm lenses, so a M body is more versatile.

Another vote for a meterless M. If you can afford a new Bessa, you can afford a user M2.
    No not when you are on a budget and street shooting, even ignoring your optimism about maintenance, & reliability.
    An (any) M is slower to reload than a P, If you are getting a M2 you may need the quick load kit..
    If you are street shooting then you need depth of field so you will be using f/5.6 with a 35mm maybe f/4 with a 28mm, - at most The CV lenses (except tor the f/1.1, ansd /1.4 35mm and 40mm, and the fast 75mm) are all available in LTM, 2nd hand they are modern lenses and a match the modern Leica lenses, note Leica don't make a 12mm.
    The LTM lenses are cheaper then the M lenses...
    A P is 50% of the price on an M2 in same condition...
    The only real snag is the maintenance costs of a M2 and Canon P will be the same, except the P long term will be or will tend to be more reliable.

Noel

Shooter
    Large Format
    Shooting with an external meter is not as fast as an integral meter (although it may be more accurate). That's something to try before deciding on a camera like an M2 or M3 compared with the ZI or the Bessa.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What camera body you will buy is of less importance. Just buy what your budget can handle.
    But it is wise to invest in good 'glass'. Top-quality lenses give you good quality images and last a life time.
    ....took the red pill, and just buckled up....

Chris

flickr&blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin