Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,660   Online: 886

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Seriously---better than a good Summicron or the 50/1.5 Sonnar? Wow.
    Certainly (but this is to be expected for a lens 1.5 to 2.5 stops slower...) Test that I've read indicate that the Heliar shows, wide open in the corners, in excess of 100 line pairs per mm resolution. The Zeiss Sonnar is a special, "characterful" lens, but I doubt it could compare at any aperture to the Heliar, for any parameter if technical image quality. You just can't make a f/1.5 lens compete with a f/3.5 lens.

It is basically completely flare-free, i.e high-contrast edges (as shown in some of my images) are rendered perfectly regardless of lighting or intensity.

Hey - it has to do something special for being only a f/3.5 lens :-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    cheaper too

Noel

P.S> worried about the Kat looks pregnant or overfed

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for the review! That's a heck of a lens. :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    P.S> worried about the Kat looks pregnant or overfed
    Where on earth did you get that idea? It's a perfectly healthy, lean, 6-month-old Maine Coon kitten (male).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    Where on earth did you get that idea? It's a perfectly healthy, lean, 6-month-old Maine Coon kitten (male).
    I like the photo, but the kat looks fat, and as if he wants to be outside killing birds, that is part of the tension of the photo...

Good to hear he is fit, but not bird friendly I fear.

Noel

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    The cat looks fine to me as well.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a lot to be said for smaller aperture lenses, especially on rangefinders where their lack of light transmission isn't a focus issue. Simpler to make and mostly cheaper. Have to say the images look sharp but no more so than any quality prime lens image over the internet. The difference will only register in a large (say, 16 x 20" +) print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I think honesty compels me to admit I don't really need 100 lp/mm in the corners. (Considering Nyquist, I don't think there are too many films that could capture it anyway, are there?) But dear ghod, what a price/performance ratio!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Have to say the images look sharp but no more so than any quality prime lens image over the internet. The difference will only register in a large (say, 16 x 20" +) print.
    Indeed, I never made any claims as to the resolution exhibited in my images (this was on ISO 400 film to being with!), in fact I specifically stated:

...Afterwards, limit print size to 5x7in. It's virtually guaranteed that this lens is better than any other ever made for 35mm film, so there is no point in obsessing about technicalities - just the "soul" of the image! Besides, it'll be posted to this odd bunch at APUG.org, so resolution means nothing on web images
    The point of this review was to share my experiences, and the "look" of the images.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    But dear ghod, what a price/performance ratio!
    Not sure I really get the intonation of how you are saying this, but in fact I think (considering available lenses) the price/performance ration of this lens is not good (even though I happen to really like it).

Despite that fact that it's optically a perfect performer at f/3.5, I suspect there are many $100 or $200 (new) 50mm f/1.8 lenses that will be hard to distinguish from this lens to the layman at that aperture. To appreciate the Heliar's rendering is a bit like appreciating a fine wine - It's very subtle.

(Also, for this price, one can buy some interesting second-hand 50mm lenses, or even almost a Zeiss Planar 50/2.0 which will come very close in performance, and is almost 2 stops faster.)

Like most things produced intentionally to be collectible, the price/performance ratio is much worse than some more conventional offerings. Since I'm not bought into a range finder system (and this will likely be my only lens for my M3) I'm not sure that I would have bought this for the new price of $700+. But for $400 (+body)? You betcha.

You see, when most people sell film gear in South Africa, the buyer's market is small, and most people do not know the worth of what they are selling. That's my risk - I accumulate this interesting gear sold locally (I bought my Linhof Technika V kit plus 3 lenses for $~2500) but even for that I could not easily sell it locally, and shipping from here is quite expensive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin