Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,929   Online: 853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canonet - Correct UV filter? mine blocks the light meter

I just picked up a Canonet QL17 III on ebay and I also went to BandH and picked up a UV filter. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but the metal part around the glass covers just a little bit of the built in light meter and throws off the exposure around 1 stop. I could just up my film speed, but I'm wondering if anyone has one of these cameras and knows the correct filter. The one I bought is a B+W brand. The metal ring does look maybe slightly bigger than most filters. I could try ordering some other ones but BandH only has that brand in stock.

Anybody have one of these with a working filter? Would love to know what you use.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't answer your question specifically, but you can get "wide angle" filters (designed for use with wide angle lenses) that are much thinner. I think Heliopan made some, probably other brands as well.

That might fix it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

I'd not worry I use mine with a filter and hood to try and improve the metering contra jour, the alternative is tilting the camera down a bit, locking the meter needle by holding the shutter button part way until the shot is framed.

A more annoying problem is you cannot obtain the mercury calls for the exposure meter. You need one of the silver cell adapters or a Shockley diode, or a hearing aid cell...

I use mine manually most of the time.

Noel.

Shooter
    35mm
    The correct UV filter is a multicoated skylight filter. :P
    The camera is the most incidental element of photography.

Shooter
    35mm
    On my GIII I use a step-up ring from 48mm-49mm. This makes it a tad wider (which should clear the meter receptor) and also allows for the more common 49mm filters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    that's a good idea! thanks Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    On my GIII I use a step-up ring from 48mm-49mm. This makes it a tad wider (which should clear the meter receptor) and also allows for the more common 49mm filters.
    And from the here's-another-possibly-useful-tip category,

I also use that exact same step-up adapter so that I can attach the nice quality and very inexpensive Kalt 49mm lens hood. Here's a recent post of mine from the "Your most recent RF purchase" thread regarding Canonet QL17 G-III hoods.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 11-05-2010 at 01:37 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: The ghost of my high school grammer teacher appeared...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ken have you tried the step-up ring / hood / with a UV filter as well? Is there any vignetting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Murray View Post
    Ken have you tried the step-up ring / hood / with a UV filter as well? Is there any vignetting?
    Have not as yet tried that, no.

I have a good collection of 52mm round filters courtesy of my manual focus Nikkor lenses. When I need a filter - usually for black-and-white contrast control - I use a 48-52mm step-up ring, the filter, and then attach a 52mm Nikon HS-11 hood.

Unfortunately I don't own a 49mm filter of any type or I'd offer to try it out.

One thing I have found, however, is that for accurate metering purposes it is necessary to always use a hood of some sort. The meter cell seems to have a fairly wide angle of acceptance, and being mounted right up front in the open, pointing the camera straight ahead and level will normally include too much bright sky. A hood mitigates this effect nicely.

I had read somewhere else that the preferred third-party hood was the 48mm Hoya metal version. I waited six months for one to come up on The Auction Site and got it - together with a Hoya 48mm UV filter - for a very fair price. Not as deep and dark as the Kalt/step-up ring combination, but very compact for when that matters more.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Cool, i went ahead and picked up all three at B and H today. So i'll try it out and see what happens. I think it's gonna work. I did notice that the meter changed slightly so maybe that will benefit the exposure. It's a really fun little camera. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin