Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,494   Online: 820

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My understanding is that the Jupiter-12 won't mount safely on the CV cameras.

I just looked at this question myself, vacillating between a collapsible Summicron and a Nikkor 50/2. I ended up with the Nikkor and am quite happy with the couple of "smoke test" rolls I've shot so far. The collapsible Summicron that I didn't buy is still there at KEH (although I've read that it probably won't collapse on the Bessa-R, which is the same body I was buying for).

This seems like it's kind of an "embarrassment of riches" situation; there are a *lot* of good screwmount lenses in the normal-to-slightly-wide range.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by herb View Post
    ... I am clueless about which of the old lenses were decent, say an early Leica or canon??
    I think it's safe to say that there weren't any bad lenses. There are soft lenses, but they are mostly pre-war, uncoated examples (and even then aren't bad.)

I have a Canon 35/2 and it is indeed a fine lens - I've been using it quite often recently. It should be used with a hood as it has a tendency to flare.

Leica obviously makes excellent lenses, but not everyone can afford them. I've found Canon screwmount lenses to be wonderful alternatives; lower in price, yet great performers.

There's also Voitlander (Cossina) which are currently making screwmount and M-mount lenses. They lack the "flavor" of old lenses, but they are reasonably priced and perform very well.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    50mm LTM lenses are plentiful and cheap. You can choose from older Leitz, Canon, Nikon or modern Voigtlander LTM lenses. There are even a few Russian 50mm LTM lenses that you might want to try.

35mm LTM lenses are far and few between. Do not buy a Russian Jupiter-12 35mm/2.8 because it has a protruding back lens that kills your Bessa's shutter. Your next option is to try to find a Voigtlander Color Skopar 35mm/2.5 LTM. It's a gem of a lens. Costs around $200 used (not available as new). KEH usually has some Canon 35mm/2.8 lenses on sale. I have no experience on that particular lens but in general old Canon LTM lenses are very good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another fan of the Summitar here...but you will need a specialized filter adaptor to put filters on it, and you want to do that to protect the soft front element: these adaptors can now be obtained inexpensively on fleabay. They also enable you to use an aftermarket hood, also now available on fleabay. Not all of the other options are easy kit out with a filter or hood.

The Summitar is a collapsible lens that should not be collapsed on the Bessa, but you can lock it open with a piece of dymo tape or some other temporary block.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nice informative thread as I am picking up the Canon IVSB-2 tomorrow for my first interchangeable lens RF.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by unohuu View Post
    Nice informative thread as I am picking up the Canon IVSB-2 tomorrow for my first interchangeable lens RF.
    You'll have a lot of fun with that. To you and to the OP I'll say "don't underestimate the Canon Serenar lenses". I have a few that are really just strays I don't shoot with much.

I took out the 35 f3.2 last week just to shoot some film for a developer comparison. I was shocked to see how sharp that lens is. It actually inspired several evenings of tweaking my enlarger setups just to see if I could get every bit of detail that was in that Legacy Pro 100 negative onto paper.

These old Canon lenses are real bargains at today's prices and the build quality is exceptionally nice.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I dont give a dime to canon , prefer not taking pictures. They are insults in Japanese.

Shooter
    Medium Format

50mm for LTM Results

Ok, I got a 50 Cm Summitar that had separated front elements, sent it to focal point and got it fixed plus haze removal. No change to the coatings, so it should be as new. I will test it for the magical qualities against a couple of others I can borrow, a Voiglander 50 1.5 and russian f2.

More after xmas

Thanks for all the responses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either 5 cm or 50 mm, I hope. Otherwise you'll have trouble focussing. :-)

Can I ask how much the repairs cost? Focal Point warn that their work "may be expensive", but I don't have even a vague sense of what that means in practice.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin