Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,465   Online: 847

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I too would rate the Summitar highly. I have around fifteen 50mm lenses and I'd rate my Summitar my 2nd favourite. First would be my 50mm Summilux-M ASPH, which is a completely different beast. The 50mm f/3.5 Elmar would be a close third.

The Summitar renders beautifully. At large apertures, the image is sufficiently sharp and gives very pleasing portraits. Stopped down, contrast improves dramatically. It's like having two lenses in one. The collapsible Summicron is gives sharper images throughout the frame but the Summitar is gives sharper images in the centre.

The only thing that I do not like about the Summitar is the non-standard filter thread. One is basically limited to old Leitz filters that usually not in great shape. I highly recommend the Summitar-to-e39 filter adapter from S.K. Grimes. This adapter allows you to use very common e39 filters. Leica made such an adapter too but it is rare and usually more expensive than the lens itself.

Also, the S.K. Grimes hood made of the later Leitz 12585 hood fit more securely. The original barn-door hood for the Summitar is huge (and ugly). One can also use very economical e39 hoods from the likes of Heavystar. The lens does flare easily... With this lens, it should actually be called flair.

Madelena by ~ Nando ~, on Flickr

For 35mm, I think that no lens is finer than 35mm f/2.8 Summaron. I have the M-mount version with the goggles for the M3 but an screw-mount version is available. It is truly one of Leica's masterpiece lenses. It is an extremely high-resolving lens. Corner-to-corner at every aperture! Yet it still gives a classic look. Absolutely magical with today's finely grained films. Also gives wonderful tones traditional B&W film.

P is for Porsche by ~ Nando ~, on Flickr
    Last edited by Fern; 12-12-2010 at 02:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Oui, non, oui, non, OUI!" - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Fernando Gomes Semedo (aka Nando) - flickr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Summitar is a great lens. Sharp with beautiful tonalities and great lens for backlit situations if you like soft creamy images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broadway. Los Angeles.jpg  
    Last edited by Domenico Foschi; 12-12-2010 at 03:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    For prints sales, workshops and individual lessons,
    please, check my website

My APUG Portfolio
    http://www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=196<p>

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep 50mm I get happy fingers on the iPad.
    Focal pt cHarged $250 so my total invested is $400 for a lens in almost new condition. He did warn that the element could shatter during the repair, so it has risk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Summitar is my favorite "normal" LTM lens. My Summar is my favorite "special effects" LTM lens. Canons are great too, and a bit cheaper.

Both the Summar and the Summitar need hoods or they flare like a mofo, and not in a pretty way, like some lenses. They just give you a big blob of white right in the middle of the picture.

One of my favorite pix was shot with a Summitar. It is not one of my favorites because of the lens, but the lens it did its job well, and it does have a certain signature about it (though not as heavy as the Summar's).
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-15-2010 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I must add that if the OP wants a more modern 'look' and unbelievable sharpness, the Voigtlander 50mm f/3.5 Heliar is the lens to get! From what I've seen, image sharpness is on par with my 50mm Summilux-M ASPH! The Voigtlander 50mm f/1.5 Nokton is also very good and fast. It is a very underrated lens and prices for used examples are very good at the moment - lower than what I think they should be given the performance of the lens. The 50f1.5 Nokton is quite large for a screwmount 50mm but its not very heavy.
    "Oui, non, oui, non, OUI!" - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Fernando Gomes Semedo (aka Nando) - flickr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It would be a worthwhile investment to pick up a Jupiter 8 50mm f/2 lens. They can be had cheap, and if you get a good example, you'll feel like you got a stellar deal. Mine was made in 1957 and turns out excellent photos.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin