Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,368   Online: 989

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lenses for Leica screw mount m42 in the 35 to 50mm range

Trying the rangefinder camera I picked up used, a Bessa R by cv, I was trying to locate a decent source of used lenses for it in the 35, 40 or 50mm range, with 35 being my first choice.
    It appears Stephen Gandy at CameraQuest has new ones in the $400 to 700 range, but I am clueless about which of the old lenses were decent, say an early Leica or canon??

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I assume you mean M39 lenses. Stephen has a guide (his opinions) for the m39 lenses - check it out under Classic camera profiles on his site. It's a good start. My own opinion is that the Elmar 50/3.5 is one of the lenses one should try out. The Canon 35/2 is really great, too.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Rangefinder forum has a classified section that sometimes lists screw mount lenses. So do specialty providers such as Tamarkin and Classic Connection. The 50s are plentiful and the slower lenses - 2.8 and 3.5 - aren't terribly expensive. That being said, they are also older, which means lower contrast and the potential for 'cleaning marks,' the code for a host of small scratches that can cause contrast problems. The nice thing about Tamarkin and Classic Connection is they know their stock and will be straightforward about a lens's condition.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Right, you want LTM lenses (39mm screw mount). M42 is the universal screw mount for SLRs, first seen on the Contax SLRs and later popularized by Pentax and also used by Praktica and others.

Cosina offers a number of Voigtlander lenses in LTM that get very good reviews. I had the 35mm Pancake Color-Skopar, which is an excellent lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You will never find better than Leica. If someone says they are old and lower contrast , you can be sure they never used it. At 1900s , there were 350 lens factory at Germany and Leica was the best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a canon f1.4 and I highly recommend it. I also have an Industar f2.8 50mm which is also quite nice. You can forget the Russian 35mm lenses....they won't fit the Bessa. I ended up getting a used Voigtlander f2.5 35mm lens. That seemed to be the cost vs. performance sweet spot to me. Dante Stella has some really great reviews and a special section on Canon rangefinder lenses

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a Summitar, which is an excellent lens. Very sharp. Good contrast. I've been very pleased with the photos.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have had two Leitz 5cm Summitars , one was front lens coated , other not.
    It uses very rare glass with high ratio thorium and this lens was the last lens of Leitz made from thorium added glass. It has a extremelly high refractive index , even higher from other newer lenses which had been changed from high refractive index to high abbe number prefer.
    And I always preferred to use front two lens element attached together lenses after all.
    I think air between elements lower the quality.
    For example Goerz Dagor have 6 lens element attached one to another in two groups and it is matchless.
    In dim light , When you photograph a person , you can get picture like Lucian Freud pictures. That strong.

Lucian Freud is the most expensive living artist today and he switched to playing with strong skin tones at around 1957.
    I believe he saw Summitar pictures which they had been produced little bit earlier.
    Of course they are very expensive today. May be the most precious RF lens in the world.
    If you have money , use it with real Leica body like IIF.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    My LTM lens useage has included:
    Canon 35/2.8*, 34mm filter, all chrome. A tiny jewel of a lens. Affordable.
    Canon 50/1.8. All chrome. Solid performer. Very affordable.
    Nikkor 5cm/1.4*. One the best lenses ever made. Unique character. Sharp. Solid. Afordable relative to other 1.4 lenses.
    Nikkor 8.5cm/2.0*. Same as the 50 above. Very affordable.
    Canon 135/3.5*. Late all black model. Solid performer. Cheap.
    * = I still own and use them alongside my M mount lenses.
    Good luck.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My vote would be for the Leitz 5cm ƒ2 Summitar. My first M39 lens made by Leitz, it has beat out all of the LTM lenses I've previously owned, German, Japanese, or Russian. Not necessarily for sharpness as much for the quality of the images it produces.

That said, the Russian Jupiter-12 35mm ƒ2.8 is a great performer for the money. Fedka.com in NY always has a couple in stock in the $100-150 range.

Check Fedka, check KEH. Don't be afraid of the BGN rating, in my experience it's very conservative.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin