Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,163   Online: 696

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

How many of you love your Kiev?

I got a Kiev 4am from fedka.com a while back, and it's now my go-to rangefinder camera. I'm not sure exactly what the appeal of it is, besides the marvelous camera and (admittedly) quirky focusing mechanism. It takes wonderful pictures, I have a ball toting it around in its "ever-ready" case, and just taking my time looking for something to shoot. It does really well with Tri-X; haven't tried any other films yet.

Anyone else like 'em?

Let's hear it for Kievs!

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I loved my Kiev when I still had it.
    What I loved less were the Zeiss-Ikon/Contax ergonomics...
    (and the then unavailability of a remotely affordable 21mm)

The Soviet copies / adaptations of classic Zeiss designs show just what great lenses Zeiss was turning out in the early 1930's.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Me.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Chalk me up for Kiev lovin'! haven't really handle any other interchangeable rangefinder though, other than a loaner M8, still prefer the kiev handling and styling.

Shooter
    35mm
    Now that I've (mostly) worked around my 4a's frame spacing issue, I think I'll be using it more. A recent test roll was a lot of fun to shoot, although I need to work on my "Contax grip".

I do have a 135mm lens for it - if I could only find the viewfinder that came with it
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let's see. Quirky focusing, check. Strange ergonomics, check. Do I love it (and all my FSUs), check. The Kiev is probably one of the quiriest FSUs that I've used, but the results are wonderful. When I first got mine, I put a roll of PXP in, and went to a local cemetary to run a test roll. I ended up with about 12 "keepers" from that roll. If you can't afford a classic Contax, or a Leica, ( I can't) then look into one of the FSU rangefinder cameras. Now I just need to find a good wide angle lens for my Kiev.

Shooter
    35mm
    I got my Kiev 4A (v1) back its CLA this last week and finally got around to loading some film in it yesterday. It took me three attempts on the film load and I plan on shooting a little with it tomorrow...assuming we get a break in the weather.

Strangely, when doing my final film load attempt, I noticed that the film does not line up evenly with the outside set of guide rails. It rides up on the lower rail. Is this to be expected?

Steve

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebrot View Post
    ... Strangely, when doing my final film load attempt, I noticed that the film does not line up evenly with the outside set of guide rails. It rides up on the lower rail. Is this to be expected? Steve
    Hello Steve.

I think you may find this of interest:
    http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/kievspool.jpg

I made that spool just after my K4a arrived in October of 2001. Works great, and it took that wobbly, crooked loading problem away altogether. Spool is not so eager to fall out while loading either.

Love the K4a. Quirky and Wierd in some ways. Fantastic rangefinder for focusing. Great pictures. Built like a battle tank. I just like using it.

Since I wear glasses, I use a Voigtlander Kontur finder with it to offset the limitations of that wee little peephole excuse for a viewfinder window on the K4a:

Last edited by T42; 11-28-2010 at 08:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Henry
    A Certified Dinosaur
    Nikons F, F2, D700, Leica M3, & Kiev 4a

Shooter
    35mm
    Henry...Thanks for the link. I found a couple of other references for similar approaches and plan on using the modified spool for my next roll. The Kontur finder is pretty cool too. The only problem is finding one at a reasonable price I have the Jupiter-12 35/2.8, but have not been using it for lack of a finder.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Love..no

Like...yes

Add to the above quirks irregular frame spacing, but i can live with all these small issues. The Kiev4 feels like it will just keep going...but i know it may not
    regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin