Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,323   Online: 942

Shooter
    35mm

Leica M3 Mystery

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for info on a Leica that I've recently run across. The top says M3, and it's a double stroke, but it doesn't have the frame-line selector lever below the viewfinder.

Anybody have any info on this?
    Thanks,
    George

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The earliest M3's did not have a frame selector lever. It was added in 1955, starting from camera No. 785, 801. Frame lines in the finder changed with the appropriate lens, but no preview was possible.

Morry Katz - Lethbridge, Alberta

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Morry. I appreciate the help.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have such an early M3 and I love the fact that it doesn't have the preview lever. Personally, I never use it so I'm glad its not there.

The preview levers may also interfere with the focus tabs on some older LTM lenses. For example, when I tried mounting a 35mm Elmar and a 28mm Hektor on an M4-P, I couldn't get close focus because the preview lever was in the way. However, there would be no such problems mounting these lenses on an early M3.
    "Oui, non, oui, non, OUI!" - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Fernando Gomes Semedo (aka Nando) - flickr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin