Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,486   Posts: 1,571,306   Online: 769

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Retina IIIc help please

Recently my father in-law gave me an Retina IIIc he purchased while stationed in Germany circa 1955-57. He had used the camera up until the shutter button jammed ( I have scanned many of his Kodachromes from the late 50's-amazing!). Sent it in and was told it couldn't be repaired (this was 30+ yrs ago). He knows I tinker with old camera's and handed it to me and said "here ya go". Well 2 nights and about an hour into it and the RF is cleaned and the shutter arm that was pinched tight by to screws has been adjusted and lightly lubed. The meter dial was off and here is where I need help. When turned dial is turned clockwise, the unsheilded meter pointer reads EV4 and the red pointer does not start to move down until an EV of seven (on the same unshielded scale). When turned fully CCW the unshielded scale reads EV 11.5--It seems the scale has shifted as the lowest I can meter is EV 7 (or 13 with the peep hole cover down and in place). I'll test the shutter tonight but it sounds just right at the lower speeds. Can't wait to bring t back to life!

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    It's a selenium meter - they wear out over time with use/exposure to light. A quick search seems to indicate that Quality Light Metric of Los Angeles may still sell some replacement cells.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    It is a selimium meter, and the cells were out over time, I would leave it and depend on a hand held meter, Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys-I know its a selenium cell--my question was more to the scale and deflection of the needle. I'm looking for anyone that might have a known working model to compare against. I will look into Quality light in LA-thanks!!
    Matt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

Sorry have not got a reference camera.

But a small cell and a small rugged galvo wont be very sensitive i.e. there may be nothing wrong with itthe way it is.

Try it with a separate meter or film package exposure table, or sunny side f/16, trix casette...

Some cells do go off but others from pre WWII can be ok

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try Chris Sherlock http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~Srawhiti/ he is the best, if no results let me know and I'll give you some more leads. I may even have a repair manual.
    Jay

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin