Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,056   Online: 926

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 913141516171819202122 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lensworker View Post
    Worms? How about maggots??
    Naw, can't have that. They'd eat the investment bankers in formaldehyde.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because everyone knows " you are what you own"
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For me, it's because of its simplicity and solid build.

In this day and age of plastic-everything, it's nice to hold something still made of metal. I appreciate that aspect. So it's no surprise that I also like mechanical watches and fountain pens. Not only the materials, but the "fit and finish" as they say. It drives me insane when there's play in a control such as the focus ring. Ever use a Canon EF L lens to focus manually? Despite having a manual focus switch and the ability to do so - it's merely an afterthought. There's more slop in that ring than a pig sty. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Canon (that's my other rig).

Another turn-off is pages and pages of menus to wade through. Even with customizable buttons (which seem to multiply as well) and what-not. I need glasses to read, hate wearing them otherwise - especially to shoot. I need four controls; ISO, focus, aperture and shutter speed. Anything more than that is fluff.

Leica, for some, may be "boutique" or "jewelry" but to me it's well-built, solid stuff that's a joy to shoot. It doesn't try to cram technology down my throat. That in itself is a welcome retreat - just like shooting film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well my simple and robust 35mm is a Argus C-3 and for 120mm a Ricoh Diacord, it is simple with working light meter although robust its not. I would love to have a Leica but finances say no.
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello one90guy.

What is the true cost of ownership of a camera?

In one way of thinking, the cost of ownership of a Leica can be quite reasonable. You can buy a good one used for a price which you or your heirs can recover when it is sold later. Your only cost will be in routine maintenance and in whatever amount inflation takes the value out of money... more or less.

I bought an M3 with Summicron in 1999 for $600. I had Sherry Krauter go through it for about $250. $850 altogether. It would bring about that today, I think. In the meanwhile, I have enjoyed using it for 12 years. If I had put that $850 into a shoebox at that time, its value would have been attacked by inflation also, and it would not have given me the joy of using a Leica M3 in the intervening 12 years.

120mm ???

Lots of folks say that.

We will never see "120mm" on a roll of "type 120" roll film. IIRC, 120 is a product number which Kodak assigned to one of its various 6cm roll film types long ago. It is not a physical measurement of format. Same with the 135 cassette which is a product number identification, not very indicative of the fact that there is 35mm film inside the cassette.

Happy day.

Last edited by T42; 12-11-2011 at 12:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Henry
    A Certified Dinosaur
    Nikons F, F2, D700, Leica M3, & Kiev 4a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    T42 If I sold all my film kit I still could not afford a Lecia. Not that I would not like to use or own one. My only point is there are other robust and simple cameras, would you not agree.

Thank you for the mm 120 information, I am fairly new to medium format. I have used 35mm since 1968 and when ordering 120 I assumed it was the same. I have learned a lot from this board, I spend a lot of time lurking and reading. I do not find many questions or subjects that I think I could add anything.

David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apconan View Post
    No actually, it is very easy to understand. Here is a 3-step guide that for everyone!

1. People accumulate money. Often this excess of money comes in retirement.
    2. They buy the most (recognizably) expensive camera they can. Leica.
    3. Now they justify the 200%+ premium over other camera brands by posting endlessly about the 'mystique' and how awesome Leicas are. Meanwhile, their photos are still sub-par. The more they spent on the camera, the more time they spend online talking about their cameras, and the less time they spend shooting or in the darkroom.
    Hilarious, but unfortunately more true than many would care to admit. No, I do not have Leica envy, I have Porsche 911 Turbo Whale Tail envy. I had a perfectly good M3 DS, and only took average quality pix with it. So I sold it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dhosten View Post
    I had a perfectly good M3 DS, and only took average quality pix with it. So I sold it.
    The camera could only take average quality pix? Clearly the camera's fault... Bad, Bad Leica!!!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My Leica M4 has proven practical and economical for 41 years. A camera that reliable and inexpensive to own doesn't have to produce masterpieces.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    The camera could only take average quality pix? Clearly the camera's fault... Bad, Bad Leica!!!
    I also took crap pix with Bronica ECTL, and was also really horrible at 8x10 with an unstable B&J. I don't blame cameras for bad pictures, but figure that if I take better pictures, in some cases almost unrecognizably better, then I must not work well with the cameras with which I produce lack lustre results. So, I ditch the ones I don't work well with, and gravitate more to the cameras I produce better work with. I must be the only photographer who regularly shot utter crap on an M series Leica.... it is not the rangefinder itself though, as I have taken very good pictures with an XA, and a 4x5 Razzledog 110 conversion, so I am not sure what the problem was.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin