Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,970   Online: 1031

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    which reminds me--hasn't cosina's whole business idea consist of peddling the same old copal click-clack for decades? i googled it briefly, but didn't find anything conclusive. if so, we'd have way more than 5 years of track record by now
    I see numerous Cosina-made cameras on the used market today. Everything from th Konica C35 to the Vivitar SLRs to Olympus and Nikons. Most of them are low-end cameras, and most still work today.

Cosina's Voigtlander cameras have been around for nearly a decade, and people continue to buy and use them -- new and used.

I don't understand your point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When one develops an affection for very high quality engineering, there is no turning back. I'm not talking solely about Leicas, but also about top-quality Swiss and German mechanical watches, finely made laboratory instruments or excellent musical instruments and the list could go on.

Spending time with a finely crafted piece—whatever it may be—, even for only a shorter period of time can help one develop a love for finely executed tiny details. No matter how we look at it, it adds to the person, changes his attitude. There is a difference between visiting a museum for a full day vs. spending there only an hour.

On the other hand I tend to disagree with those who say that Leica negatives are instantly recognisable and photos taken with Leicas are in a different league compared to those taken with other cameras. They can be very sharp or contrasty but these qualities have little to do with our photographic vision that I believe most of us could develop to the same level with a Zorki as with a Leica. However, it can help boost creativity knowing for whatever reason the photos don't look the way one wishes to: It is not the camera to blame.
    Last edited by Aron; 12-28-2010 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I don't understand your point.
    I think he's saying that Cosina-made cameras have been around for ages and because of this we've got a longer history to judge reliability than if we just focused upon the Bessa RF models.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ....took the red pill, and just buckled up....

Chris

flickr&blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen
    When I first got mine I was impressed by the fully radiused sides as opposed to the angular or flat ones on other cameras I've handled. I remember reading once online where a Leica enthusiast claimed that the body is made of brass and this particular choice of metal radiated heat to the hands increasing the handling pleasure. I wasn't so sure about that but I was keen to try out the film advance lever which online Leica enthusiasts had variously described as being silky smooth or like a hot knife going through butter. Mine seemed a little less smooth than that but I was keen to try out the legendary quiet shutter which I'd heard so much about online; silent, like a whisper, unobtrusive, Wim Wenders even called it a 'kiss'. I tried it: 'clunk', hmm not that quiet. So I tried it against my FM2: 'clack'. Hmm, 'clunk', 'clack'. I decided I should try a real world test and a few months later I was out with my wife in the grounds of a stately home. The sun was out and she was on a bench soaking up the rays with her eyes closed. I walked around a bit and thought a nice photo may be possible from behind her with this grand house in the background. I took the photo 'clunk'; immediately my wife swung round 'did you just take a photo?'. So much for the kiss!
    Best description of the Leica experience I have read in a long, long time. They are nice bits of engineering to be sure, but so is a Nikon F series or a Rolleiflex.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Its not a good description at all. Anyone who thinks the shutter of a Leica sounds anything like the shutter of an FM2 needs new ears. I have both. The FM2 sounds like a gunshot. The Leica like a snick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    I think he's saying...
    Yup, more or less what he was saying...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post
    Its not a good description at all. Anyone who thinks the shutter of a Leica sounds anything like the shutter of an FM2 needs new ears.
    Anyone who doesn't read my post carefully needs new eyes?

I wrote about my personal experience with the Leica and tried to compare it to many online comments I've read in the past. The OP suggests the Leica reputation is a "mystique", and then considers "reverence" as a better word. I'd suggest "hyperbole".

I think the online comments often work by attrition on the more rational part of the brain and slowly the idea of a shutter which is 'silent' or like a 'kiss' becomes compelling. The Leica reality was decidedly underwhelming for me.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree; my OM2 shutter is not significantly louder than a Leica shutter. Also, the leaf shutter in my Canonet is quieter than both.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am neither professional photographer nor serious collector, but have used Leicas for 57 years. The latest body, an M4, cost about $200 overseas in 1970. That means using an elegant, reliable, and user friendly camera body for $5 a year. The lenses are bargains, too. The outfit is certainly not obsolete. My first digital camera, now 5 old, is hopelessly outdated. Of course the Leica outperformed it. The digital was more convenient in some ways. I'd rather people appreciate Leica quality images than be impressed by how easy an inferior shot was to capture.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin