Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,270   Online: 944

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I'm about to find out. I took the plunge.

After some discussion with a professional photog that has gone strictly digital, I purchased what I suppose many consider to be the "ugly duckling" of the Leica breed: A Black Leica M5 w/ Box, Case, 50mm Summicron lens AND several rolls of HP5 film. Based on selling prices of Leica's for the body only, I think I got a decent deal on a beautifully maintained camera and lens kit.

Stay tuned

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    This might help, re: the Leica mystique:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...24fa_fact_lane
    Great article--thanks! It reminded me (again) as to why I purchased and use an M3. My first daliance with the brand was the purchase of a IIIc back in college in '68. It cost $49.95 in good working condition. Three years later I bought my M3. While saving up for that purchase, I rummaged through every used camera store in NYC, lusting in my heart over every Leica that I could get my hands on. There were shops along 6th Ave near Rockefeller Center at that time which had rows upon rows of M3's and M2's. My M3 was a joy to use and I've captured a lot of moments of life with it. It embodies a very different way of photography, one in which it requires the user to pre-visualize the image prior to pressing the shutter button. I've since purchased and used a wide variety of cameras since but none shoots like a Leica.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Leica "mystique"? Give me a break. The mystique is in your imagination.

Why don't we change the thread topic to the mystic of collecting cheap plates of the 50 States that are made in China? How about really evil looking dolls? Spoons anyone?

How about the mystique of the OLY OM cameras? Or Ferrari's? Or any other hobby? Who in their right mind would pay 100 bucks for a limited edition print?

Let's discuss the mystique of my Hasselblad 500c/m. Look at how old they are and how expensive they remain. What is the mystique of a 38mm Biogon? Silly SWC, so overpriced, it must be collectors.

Regarding the salty M3, who and why would you care if somebody wanted it? I spent 4 grand on my last car, and 22 grand on my last vacation. I'm sure that bothers some people but why would I care? So I was driving a 27 year old MB 300SEL that would still do 135mph in comfort (though I would have to immediately pull over and add 2qts of oil). I spent a month in Brazil then 3 more weeks in Honduras, and had plenty of change left over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jacarape View Post
    Leica "mystique"? Give me a break. The mystique is in your imagination.

Why don't we change the thread topic to the mystic of collecting cheap plates of the 50 States that are made in China? How about really evil looking dolls? Spoons anyone?

How about the mystique of the OLY OM cameras? Or Ferrari's? Or any other hobby? Who in their right mind would pay 100 bucks for a limited edition print?

Let's discuss the mystique of my Hasselblad 500c/m. Look at how old they are and how expensive they remain. What is the mystique of a 38mm Biogon? Silly SWC, so overpriced, it must be collectors.

Regarding the salty M3, who and why would you care if somebody wanted it? I spent 4 grand on my last car, and 22 grand on my last vacation. I'm sure that bothers some people but why would I care? So I was driving a 27 year old MB 300SEL that would still do 135mph in comfort (though I would have to immediately pull over and add 2qts of oil). I spent a month in Brazil then 3 more weeks in Honduras, and had plenty of change left over.

My, looks like someone got their Hanes all in a bunch.

Chill out dude - take a pill or something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Just the fact that there are page after page after page of replies is evidence of the passion on both sides that the Leica name evokes.
    And the page after page of replies to the Deleted thread is evidence of what?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Where else would you hope to find "mystique"?
    Well, my point was that the the cameras themselves don't have a physical property that leads to it. It's more about the history and reputation of the company and its products in general, and the erroneous association of great/famous images and Leicas leading some to think that such equipment is somehow neccessary.

I ended up with Leica when I became disillusioned with my DSLR, and wanted to go back to somethnig mechanical and manual (had been away from photography for 25 years before that, and had used a Minolta SRT-303 back in the day). The attractions for me were simple 'proper' controls, all mechanical, no battery dependence, interchangeable lenses, and superb build quality. Until I did my research a year or so ago, I was barely aware of Leica, and wasn't particularly interested in rangefinders.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    My, looks like someone got their Hanes all in a bunch.

Chill out dude - take a pill or something.

Ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I became disillusioned with my DSLR, and wanted to go back to somethnig mechanical and manual (had been away from photography for 25 years before that, and had used a Minolta SRT-303 back in the day). The attractions for me were simple 'proper' controls, all mechanical, no battery dependence, interchangeable lenses, and superb build quality. Until I did my research a year or so ago, I was barely aware of Leica, and wasn't particularly interested in rangefinders.
    Ditto - Same here. With me it was Minolta SRT-101's and the X-700.

Still have the two X-700 bodies and several Rokkor's. Thinking I'm gonna have to part with one of the bodies and a 45mm lens to offset my recent purchase.
    Not that they'll bring much but every lil bit helps

Really became disgusted to learn what I would get for a barely used Canon 40D

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Ditto - Same here. With me it was Minolta SRT-101's and the X-700.

Still have the two X-700 bodies and several Rokkor's. Thinking I'm gonna have to part with one of the bodies and a 45mm lens to offset my recent purchase.
    Not that they'll bring much but every lil bit helps

Really became disgusted to learn what I would get for a barely used Canon 40D
    I have tried to trade an Oly OM-1n and two lenses for 5 rolls of film. I also offered to give it away. No takers.

This is really a cool camera, just a tad larger then my MP side by side.

So I'm cool with the "mystique". All of my L items sell for what I paid or more. It may just be the time to sell and "suffer" with a beater Blad.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jacarape View Post
    I have tried to trade an Oly OM-1n and two lenses for 5 rolls of film. I also offered to give it away. No takers.

This is really a cool camera, just a tad larger then my MP side by side.

So I'm cool with the "mystique". All of my L items sell for what I paid or more. It may just be the time to sell and "suffer" with a beater Blad.
    I'm tempted to try and trade you out of that OM; it would make a nice bicycle camera. Nonetheless, I agree completely about the Leica. Necessity forced me to trade my Leicas many years ago in order to get the equipment I needed for a newspaper job (lots of high school football). I ended up with OM-1's. They were nice cameras but I had to have 3 bodies to keep 2 working; I was shooting about 100 foot of film a week then.

I immediately missed the Leicas. I eventually got my original M2 back. It finally had to go in for a CLA about 30 years after I first owned it. It has shot many thousands for feet of film for three different newspaper photographers since I've known it. I assume it was well used in the dozen or so years before that also.

All in all Leica M's have been about the most economical cameras I've ever owned. The non-collector models seem like an incredible bargain at today's prices.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin