Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,985   Online: 682

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Sounds like you're well set then. Have fun. Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch in NYC is one good source of service if you need it at any point (while she's still in business). She used to travel the world for Leitz training their service techs, with special expertise on the CL and M5.

Lee
    Yes! I spoke with Sherry just before Christmas.

I'm looking forward to having the M5 put me through my paces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    So what exactly constitutes the non-collector models.
    Leica screwmounts - for example the IIIc can usually be had cheap.

Or, compromise on condition like I do. For example, when I wanted an M2 there were two in a local shop. One was in very nice condition for $1200, the other was scratched and had fungus damage in the VF and was $600. I took the cheaper one because it had just been cleaned-up and had brand new shutter curtains, and it has performed beautifully.

I've been warned many a time against buying certain cameras because of condition. In the end they've always worked
    Those who know, shoot film

easter NY, 2 miles so. of Canadian border
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I cheated --- I bought a fed-2 and I like it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by premo View Post
    I cheated --- I bought a fed-2 and I like it
    I got a boxful of them, and had Eddy Smolov fix them.

The bad thing is that everybody seems to have learned that the FSU glass is pretty decent. I'll grant that it isn't Leica quality, but as I've said before, putting a good camera in my hands isn't going to improve my results one bit.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I glanced over the thread. Quite funny!

There is a very simple way to make your camera ...any camera... worth a lot of money. Just take photographs with it that are worth a lot of money.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Well, I'm about to find out. I took the plunge.

After some discussion with a professional photog that has gone strictly digital, I purchased what I suppose many consider to be the "ugly duckling" of the Leica breed: A Black Leica M5 w/ Box, Case, 50mm Summicron lens AND several rolls of HP5 film. Based on selling prices of Leica's for the body only, I think I got a decent deal on a beautifully maintained camera and lens kit.
    Congratulations lilmsmaggie, it may be the odd one out, but is a wonderfully functional camera with a lovely lens too. Enjoy the experience and looking forward to hearing your own opinions and seeing the results.

For while I'm an avid Leica fan I am well aware of their nuances both good and bad and would never consider myself a good picture taker because of having them. Simply I enjoy using them and to me that counts.
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bateleur View Post
    Congratulations lilmsmaggie, it may be the odd one out, but is a wonderfully functional camera with a lovely lens too. Enjoy the experience and looking forward to hearing your own opinions and seeing the results.

For while I'm an avid Leica fan I am well aware of their nuances both good and bad and would never consider myself a good picture taker because of having them. Simply I enjoy using them and to me that counts.
    Thanks!

Sherry Krauter emailed me today and based on the camera's serial number, she says that it was produced in a later, stronger production run.

As Sherry put it "The right batch to own." It's a black 3-lug M5 and someone took very, very good care - nay! exceptional care of this camera. I feel fortunate to have been able to find and purchase such a beautiful example of this camera.

I just hope that I am worthy of the photographic potential this camera and lens is capable of providing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And on the photograph it looks mint!

Personally, Leica is more camera (and lens) than I deserve, but it does inspire and motivate to be more considerate on composition and selective on exposure, and perhaps in those aspects I have grown since entering the Leica fray. As the tread has shown the brand invites extreme emotions both negative and positive indicating to me that the name is be envied but to be trite, it’s still the talent of the operator that counts.
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't understand it either. After all, it's only miniature format.
    didn't they used to call 120 film "miniature format"?

used prices are always going to be relative to new prices, and new Leica's are still selling. after all, Leica's top of the range camera, the MP, is nearly identical to the M3........within reason, the main differences are the built in light meter and different frame lines. but i'll leave the collecting to others, I just use mine to take pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    didn't they used to call 120 film "miniature format"?

used prices are always going to be relative to new prices, and new Leica's are still selling. after all, Leica's top of the range camera, the MP, is nearly identical to the M3........within reason, the main differences are the built in light meter and different frame lines. but i'll leave the collecting to others, I just use mine to take pictures.
    No, 35mm was the "miniature" format.

120 film was a roll film version of the 2.25x3.25 film. Then 6x6 (2.25x2.25) became popular.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin