Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,345   Online: 814

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Having a hard time understanding the Leica Mystique - aka Astronomical Prices

I recently came across a M4-P 70th Anniversary 1913-1918, body only. No box, no instruction manual. I have to admit, a very nice camera. But the price!! Clearly, the price tag had collectors in mind. The same week, I came across an eBay listing for a plain-jane M4. Nice camera, except the leather on the back near the film indicator had worn through. Price: $1800 for a 40-year old camera!

IMHO, collectors are making a mess of the used camera market. Especially when it comes to Leica's. I guess I just don't understand. Wouldn't a Zeiss Ikon ZI fit the bill just as much as a M3 or M4? Does it have to be a Leica, and do you have to give up an arm and a leg, mortgage the farm and relinquish your 1st born to pay for it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you've used one you'll understand why

The Ikon will wear out it's only a Cosina after all, the Leica won't

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over on RFF, a poster came across a Black original MP for $12,665. This was followed by a poster in Europe who said: "That's nothing" and shared the following link: http://www.schouten-select.com/produ...+Set+Very+Rare

That's incredible! that's $91,000 U.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't understand it either. After all, it's only miniature format.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I fall into the category 'If you has to ask, you ain't never gonna understand'. And at those prices, I ain't never gonna understand.

Oh, Satchmo quote for those interested.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    The mystique can be seductive and I'd urge anyone to try before they buy. I bought on the basis of the mystique ('everyone speaks so highly of these cameras') and sold it back on within a year. Didn't do anything for me.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought before I tried and haven't regretted it, although I shoot hardly any 35mm these days but I've had a lot of use out of my M3. I paid reasonable prices for body, lens, meter etc. Official Leica dealers are often better than private sales especially if you want a user not a collectors camera.

Best to read Roger Hicks & his wife on Leica's.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Those prices have nothing to do with the Leica mystique or whatever. They're rare items sought by collectors, not users. An M4-P in Ex+ condition typically goes for $800-$900 for the regular non-anniversary version. The original MP is very rare and is purely a collectible. To me as a user, the best used Leica to get is an M6 (regular non-collectible special-edition version), which is about $1200 for one in near-new condition. I have two of them. They're new enough not to be wore out and have built in meters, but they're not the current MP, which is almost $5000 new and $2500+ used.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    No actually, it is very easy to understand. Here is a 3-step guide that for everyone!

1. People accumulate money. Often this excess of money comes in retirement.
    2. They buy the most (recognizably) expensive camera they can. Leica.
    3. Now they justify the 200%+ premium over other camera brands by posting endlessly about the 'mystique' and how awesome Leicas are. Meanwhile, their photos are still sub-par. The more they spent on the camera, the more time they spend online talking about their cameras, and the less time they spend shooting or in the darkroom.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've been pretty happy with a IIIc and FSU glass. Cost about $250 in total once other bits were sold off. These cameras make nice users. Smaller, quieter and cheaper than an R3A. That is a sweet camera too though.

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin