Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,245   Online: 818

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

M4-P Veiwfinder Fog

Hey Gents.
    So A few weeks ago I purchased my first Leica, a beautiful M4-P. However I've just noticed that the viewfinder isn't as clear and contrasty as my friend's M6. I did a search on google and found a post on a forum that states that the top plate can be removed and the viewfinder optics can be polished to remove the "fog". However, another google search did not provide any results about how to de-assemble the top plate. Now can anyone direct me to a site that details how to remove the top plate and the veiwfinder? I'm well aware that I could send it to get CLA'ed. But I would like to try this on my own first.

Thanks In Advance!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd highly recommend sending the camera to Youxin Ye.
    http://nemeng.com/leica/srcs/whoswho.php?id=YO0Uxye

However, you may find the following article handy.
    http://benoit.suaudeau.perso.neuf.fr...sic_repair.pdf
    "Oui, non, oui, non, OUI!" - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Fernando Gomes Semedo (aka Nando) - flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the same problem with an inherited M4-P and was told by an expert dealer in secondhand cameras that the glue used in Canadian-made Leicas had a tendency to break down and fog things up! I don't know if this was Wetzlar snobbery, but in any case I didn't dare to clean it up myself. I'm in Canada and sent the camera to Gerry Smith at Kindermann in the Toronto area who did an excellent fast job.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I've the same problem with my M4-P and I'm sending it in for a CLA (it's due for one anyway). At the same time, I'm having the viewfinder upgraded with the MP optics. If you do send yours in, you may want to consider that upgrade.

Best of luck.
    Carl
    Minneapolis, MN, USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the suggestion Farkle. But might I ask, what is the benefit of the MP optics? And how much do you think the whole procedure will cost? Price break down if you can.

Thanks to everyone for the help. It is deeply appreciated.
    Last edited by hybridcoolie2; 01-06-2011 at 12:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    [QUOTE=hybridcoolie2;1117219]Thanks for the suggestion Farkle. But might I ask, what is the benefit of the MP optics? And how much do you think the whole procedure will cost? Price break down if you can.

Thanks to everyone for the help. It is deeply appreciated.[/QUOTE

More contrast no rangefinder patch flare, sell a kidney.

Shooter
    35mm
    DAG charged me $200 for my M6TTL upgrade and another person charged me an EXTRA $75 on top of the $250 CLA for the optics upgrade. I think it's just one condenser lens, but I might be wrong. I hear it is much more costly to have Leica do the upgrade for you.
    Carl
    Minneapolis, MN, USA

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As always with these types of requests, it is very helpful to indicate your country. This is the Internet, and there are users from all over the world (well, not North Korea or Burma).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by hybridcoolie2 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Farkle. But might I ask, what is the benefit of the MP optics? And how much do you think the whole procedure will cost? Price break down if you can.

Thanks to everyone for the help. It is deeply appreciated.
    The "MP" finder upgrade gets rid of the "white out" problem in the viewfinder patch when in certain lighting conditions. It's very effective, I highly recommend the upgrade.
    --------------------------------------------
    Tri-X & Rodinal, a beautiful thing.
    Leica, Contax & Nikon Shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin