Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,605   Online: 1267

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nikon vs. Leica

Images
    Rangefinders are sweet for their size and low noise but personally I prefer to shoot with an SLR. The RF requires you to concentrate on focusing and then composing in two steps (unless you're scale focusing) while th SLR lets you do both simultaneously.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll just stick to the F3 since most of you think there really isn't much difference in optics. I have to say that camera has a great meter.

As far as the rutt... I checked out the galley at APUG and I think I'll post some of my older work to get some opinions. Some of the work in the gallery is very impressive. It's inspiring to see other peoples' work. Makes me a little envious, but in a good way.

Let's not demystify the Leica too much here. As in many of the replies have been in the vein of, "Have you considered something else other than a Leica, like a Mamiya 7, a TLR, a Bessa, etc. ?"
    While the Leica has many shortcommings compared to other cameras for all around use, A Leica is a Leica and nothing else does what it does as well. For low light work, for quiet operation, for fast focusing of a stationary subject, for the the look generated by the lenses (especially the older designs), for the "high" you get using even a 50 year old one, nothing else comes close. Not a Mamiya, not a Contax G2, not a Bessa and certainly not an F3.
    Take care,
    Tom

Edit: BTW, If I already had a camera, my next purchase would be a darkroom. Another camera would be well down on my list of purchases.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    Edit: BTW, If I already had a camera, my next purchase would be a darkroom. Another camera would be well down on my list of purchases.
    Tom, you're right. I'm the perfect candidate for a darkroom. I just need to get off my ass and design and build it. I have this perfect room in my basement with plumbing. I just need to get a sink and make it light tight. I think I'll go over to the darkroom forum now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    A Leica is a Leica and nothing else does what it does as well. For low light work, for quiet operation, for fast focusing of a stationary subject, for the the look generated by the lenses (especially the older designs), for the "high" you get using even a 50 year old one, nothing else comes close.
    Yes, I wish I had the money to muy a M2 or M3 body and a couple of lenses.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll just stick to the F3 since most of you think there really isn't much difference in optics. I have to say that camera has a great meter.
    I'm glad that you seem to have pretty good luck with your F3. I have one of the original ones (1981?) and I have had to have it repaired some many times, I've lost count. I gave it up a few years ago; I still have it, but it is broken again. I replaced it with an N80. No big deal, since I mainly do LF these days anyway.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other thing about rangefinders is that the focusing is, IMHO, much more precise than with SLR's (especially autofocus. yuchhhh!) If you want to get a very shallow depth of field portrait, I think it is hard to beat Leica glass wide open. The out-of-focus areas are smooth and distinctive, and the in-focus areas are razor sharp. You might want to consider a user M2 or M3 with a Summicron-M (35 or 50), which can be found used for not quite as much $$$ as a brand new kit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mean something like this item in epay?
    Number 3835932580
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    You mean something like this item in epay?
    Number 3835932580
    Wellll... that one looks it needs a purple Caddy with vinyl top and leopard skin seat covers to complete the look. Maybe a burgundy velour suit and a fedora as well.

Seriously, the lens on this one looks a little suspect. The DR summicron is a great lens, but whenever someone starts talking about haze, I run the other direction

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ara,

Seriously, I think you're not going to find what you're looking for in a camera shop. The kit you have is not lacking in any reasonable way. Maybe think about setting yourself a project, but if you're after something different then a darkroom could well be the way to go (and *'way* cheaper than a Leica!).

All the best,

Frank

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin