Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,547   Online: 827

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nikon vs. Leica

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

luminosity

isn't that just a fancy word for that Leica "glow" HAHA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bjorke's earlier reply led me to another way of thought on the differences that doesn't even concern the glass. As far as SLRs and rangefinders, how much do you think the mirror vibration comes into play? Also, the play on the shutter release; I've heard Leicas have a better feel. I mean if you're pressing harder wouldn't you shake the camera a little more?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ara:
    Most articles I've seen suggest that mirror slap is most noticable a 1/8-1/15th sec. & recommend using mirror lockup at these speeds.
    Also the Leica has a much faster response to shutter release than SLR's because you're actually releasing the shutter. In SLR's, you release the mirror which then releases the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find the biggest difference between using an SLR or TLR and a rangefinder is the way I see things through the viewfinder. The image on the ground glass, surrounded by darkness, altered, separated from reality, leads me in a different direction to that I get seeing through a direct viewfinder, plain and clear, more directly connected to everything going on around me - I often keep both eyes open.

That's come out as sounding pretentious - I have failed to put an abstract concept that I see clearly into words of similar clarity.

Well, there you go.
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..that is, of course, unless like Eggleston (et al) you are using a Contax G with a telescoping finder

KB
    (who still likes the Canon GIII, if it weren't so fragile)
    (Yodobashi Camera was having a day-long seminar on GIII fixing a week or two back...)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke

KB
    (Currently in a hotel two blocks from Yodobashi Camera )
    Wife and I were in Shinjuku during Oct. 2000 and Nov. 2001. Stayed at the "Keio Plaza Hotel", just a few minutes walk to Yodobashi Camera. That store is a must visit when we are in Tokyo. May only buy a few odd items that are difficult to locate here in the U.S.A. but any major purchases such as cameras, or lenses are done here as the prices are lower.
    Howard Tanger

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I used a nikon 8008s with 3 lenses for about 5 years. I then upgraded to a Leica M6 with 28mm elmarit-M. When I got my first roll of slides back from the Leica I was beyond floored. I'm not sure how people can say the optics are the same. My nikon slides in comparison to the Leica slides were absolutely flat and dreary. The leica images look 3D as if they are jumping out of the emulsion. Amazing clarity and contrast. I no longer have the M6 because I've gone up to 645 and 8x10, but if I were going with a serious 35mm setup it would be hard to use anything other than a Leica after owning one. The Leica's are pricey though, the main drawback..
    I agree with you 10%, Sean. During my camera club's slide competitions, the awesome 3D effect and brilliance my Leica M lenses (and Leica R8 lenses) create is far superior to the other members' Nikon and Canon lenses' output! I'll never change from Leica to any other manufacturer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard R. Tanger
    Stayed at the "Keio Plaza Hotel"
    Ha, same hotel. I go about once a year. Next time the Hyatt around the corner, though

Yeah, Yodobashi etc are not cheap compared to, say, B&H -- but some used deals can sometimes be found, and the selection is unbeatable. Plus you can always say: "gee, it was only 34,000Y at MAP..."

(please forgive digi pic)
    Last edited by bjorke; 09-22-2004 at 11:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin