Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,235   Online: 889

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

38 Frames Per Roll? How about 39?

With my M7, I finally figured out a way to squeeze 38 out of a roll of Tri-X, with the first frame at 00, the next at 0, and the last at 36. Is there a way to squeeze another one at the end to make it to 37, and thus, 39 total frames? Just curious. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roll your own....
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Am I the only person who prefers shorter rolls? (from both a developing and shooting perspective, I find it annoying to deal with 36 frame rolls).

In any case, the answer is above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by degruyl View Post
    Am I the only person who prefers shorter rolls? (from both a developing and shooting perspective, I find it annoying to deal with 36 frame rolls).
    The very first thing that my instructor said when I took a darkroom workshop was to always finish a roll at 35... which, of course, I don't do, but it is a pain dealing with the frames that don't fit on an 8x10 contact sheet. I usually end up with two extra frames on a roll, so I start building an odds and ends page with the leftovers. The thing is, those are often interesting shots that I just manage to catch at the end of a roll, which I might miss if I have to change film, or even worse, run out of film altogether.

One other thing to consider is having to cut your negative strips with such a small gap between frames. My scissors skills are not nearly as steady as my shooting.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not buy a Nikon or Olympus and shoot with a 250 exposure back. Shoot all day, shoot a little longer.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Why not buy a Nikon or Olympus and shoot with a 250 exposure back. Shoot all day, shoot a little longer.
    Now, that would be some contact sheet!
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to get 39.5* frames out of a Konica Auto S3 because of the very short length between the roll and the take up spool. But why stop at frame 36? Why not also shoot frame 'E'?

* Half of frame 'X' plus '00', '0' and 'E' at the other end.
    Steve.

Images
    "The very first thing that my instructor said when I took a darkroom workshop was to always finish a roll at 35... "

Good Morning,

Toffle is right, and, as others have indicated, the primary problem with extra frames lies in the contacting--unless, by great good fortune, an obviously worthless shot or two happen to lie at exactly the point where it/they can be clipped out and discarded as the roll is cut into separate strips.

Something no one has mentioned so far: With slide film, squeezing out an extra frame or two can be considered a bonus.

Konical

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    but it is a pain dealing with the frames that don't fit on an 8x10 contact sheet.
    Just use the proper size for contact sheets - 24x30cm; 7 lines with 6 frames no problem ;-)
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Funny - don't think I haven't thought about it! I have an F3HP and could get one of these backs, but they are so freakin' hideous to look at. I usually don't care at all about what other people think while I'm out shooting, but it might be hard not to be self-conscious with with one of these attached to my face.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin