Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,640   Posts: 1,668,476   Online: 726

Shooter
    35mm RF

Leica M3 Viewfinder Flare

So, the M3 is supposed to be almost flare resistant, and I have been without mine for eleven days, and didn't have it for long before to remember well enough. When looking at a lightbulb for example, I will see a very dull blueish image of the lightbulb in one or two spots, but not as part of the RF focusing mechanism. It was just returned from a CLA & RF/VF recement. Is this usual, or did the recementing cause my M3 to not be as good as it used to be?

agw

Shooter
    35mm
    Just did check that with mine - dark corridor with one light bulb (energy-saving kind, mind you):
    One faint ghost image of the bulb when off-center, on the opposite side of the RF patch.
    So, for me it seems to be normal, as my M3, although undergoing a CLA recently, still has its original viewfinder (i.e. no re-cementing).

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think the comments you see about flare in Leica M finders are talking about the rangefinder patch. On some later cameras (post M4 and M5) the rangefinder patch sort of whites out unless viewed absolutely straight on. The M3 is supposed to be the very best in that regard, but the M2, M4, M5 and some M4-2's are absolutely fine also. The complaints really started with the M6, though I assume M4-P's should be the same.

Many people are not bothered by the issue, and Leica did eventually deal with it in later cameras.

It just doesn't get much better than an M3 with a 50 Summicron. The minor ghosting you mention should not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by softshock View Post
    So, the M3 is supposed to be almost flare resistant, and I have been without mine for eleven days, and didn't have it for long before to remember well enough. When looking at a lightbulb for example, I will see a very dull blueish image of the lightbulb in one or two spots, but not as part of the RF focusing mechanism. It was just returned from a CLA & RF/VF recement. Is this usual, or did the recementing cause my M3 to not be as good as it used to be?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

You finder is probably ok

http://nemeng.com/leica/020b.shtml

Noel

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the replies! I didn't think it was unusal, but I only have one M (For now!). The ghosting isn't a problem as it doesn't affect the shot. Even after being recemented, the RF patch is still super flare free. It isn't quite as bright at night though. I very seldomly see any type of white out, though it may be due to the fact that I can keep my eye centered and close.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by softshock View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I didn't think it was unusal, but I only have one M (For now!). The ghosting isn't a problem as it doesn't affect the shot. Even after being recemented, the RF patch is still super flare free. It isn't quite as bright at night though. I very seldomly see any type of white out, though it may be due to the fact that I can keep my eye centered and close.
    Hi

If you try e.g. a M6 then if there is a light source above and to the right as you look through the finder the rangefinder rectangle 'dissappears'.
    You have been spoilt - by your M3.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have a MP, M2-r, M4 and a late M3; they are all flare resistant, yet the most flare resistant VF of them all is the M3. Enjoy yours, you can spend a lot more for less.
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Hi

If you try e.g. a M6 then if there is a light source above and to the right as you look through the finder the rangefinder rectangle 'dissappears'.
    You have been spoilt - by your M3.

Noel
    My M6 did that, but Sherry Krauter fixed it with an upgrade to the MP rangefinder.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin