Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,561   Online: 1043

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's the look I get from my Hawkeye after I flipped the lens.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @RustedChrome: Thanks for your input, and thanks for wishing me luck Did you ever get the Rolleiflex fixed?

@jnanian: Thanks for that, John!

@Nicholas Lindan: I dare say that Petzvals have a nicer effect than what this Aires Coral H lens has to offer. That's why so many years on, they still cost good money. Thanks for your feedback!

@rawhead: Somehow, it's getting kind of comforting to know I'm not the only one in this boat! Thanks!

@pinhole dreamer: Lensbaby? Whazzat?

@Valerie: Ahh yes, the flipped lens of a Brownie Hawkeye. I'd rather have sharp photos though Thanks for sharing your experience, Valerie.

I think I'll be revisiting my repairman soon, and ask him to rectify his mistake. Isn't there a quick & easy way to know if one has put in a lens element backwards or swapped it inadvertently?

Shooter
    35mm
    Isn't there a quick & easy way to know if one has put in a lens element backwards or swapped it inadvertently?
    Yes, take a photo like the one you posted and look at it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I also believe that a lens element was put in backward. It happens. I did this with an Ikonette and got nearly the same results that you did.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    To follow up, some lens elements appear to be visually symmetrical but aren't. I often will mark the lens edge with a small pointer to note which way the lens element needs to point, if the edge is thick enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    M. Valdemar: Very succinct, yet precise & practical answer.

elekm: Thanks! That's a good way to mark the elements...one that my repair guy needs to use

Anyway, I found a lens diagram for the H Coral 45/1.9 lens of this camera, it's attached below. This may be a very foolish question, but..here goes:

Which end (left or right) of the lens diagram shows the outer lens element (the one that faces you when you look at the lens from the front of the camera)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aires 35iiiL lens.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I would guess that it's the rear element. But it depends on how the lens elements are held in place and whether two or more are part of a single assembly.

He did a very nice job on the camera. Looks really nice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Optical diagrams always show the front element to the LEFT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you elekm & rawhead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin