Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,628   Posts: 1,647,944   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Soft & blurry corners on photos taken with Aires 35 IIIL

Hi all.

Several months ago I received my Aires 35 IIIL. This one used to belong to Marion Carpenter (see here). The camera arrived to me dead, it had a non-working shutter, kaput rangefinder & as I recall a dirty lens. So off it went to my local professional camera repairman. He had a tough time repairing it, taking more time than usual.

About a month or so afterwards, I received it back from him. I was happy with his work, the camera is now very clean and all functions work correctly as it should. I eagerly loaded a roll of Legacy Pro 400 (bulk loaded) into the Aires and proceeded to finish the roll quickly during a family picnic. After development, a quick look at the negatives told me that the pictures are basically alright (no light leaks, etc) but there was something 'wrong' with them. Hard to tell without scanning it. The next morning, I scanned the negatives and lo and behold...

All the photos seem to be alright in the center of the frame, but everywhere else (left, right, top & bottom edges & corners) it's all blurred out, almost like a swing/tilt movement in LF. See the attached photos.

Suffice to say I was disappointed. This particular Aires model supposedly has an excellent lens and I was looking forward to seeing them myself.

I've never encountered this before. What could be causing it? Is the lens to be blamed? Taking a look at the film pressure plate, I kinda suspect it's the culprit. Can film flatness issues cause this kind of photos?

When viewed from the top of the camera, the film pressure plate appears to be higher at one end compared to the other, i.e it's not straight. See photos below.

I'd appreciate any feedback or opinions. Thanks very much in advance!

Best,
    Dani

Shooter
    Large Format
    The photo of the child was obviously shot with the aperture wide open. That’s why the extremely shallow depth of field. Probably the rest were too.

So long as the pressure plate spring is ok—it looks like it is—the plate should hold the film flat against the film rails.

I think that the problem is that the aperture is wide open. Possibly it’s stuck. It should be checked to verify that it stops down as it’s supposed to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's possible a lens element is not correctly seated. The film pressure plate looks OK so I'd check with your repair guy, he'd have had the lens apart to fix the shutter etc.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    The photo of the child was obviously shot with the aperture wide open. That’s why the extremely shallow depth of field. Probably the rest were too.

So long as the pressure plate spring is ok—it looks like it is—the plate should hold the film flat against the film rails.

I think that the problem is that the aperture is wide open. Possibly it’s stuck. It should be checked to verify that it stops down as it’s supposed to.
    Thanks for your feedback Ian. A quick check reveals that the apertures blades aren't stuck and that they stop down correctly. It was a very sunny day when those photos were taken, so I doubt that they were taken wide open. Probably at f/5.6 or so. Even if those photos were taken wide open, it shouldn't result in such an extreme 'softness', should it? I've heard of lenses giving soft photos in the corners when wide open, but this is a bit much.

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's possible a lens element is not correctly seated. The film pressure plate looks OK so I'd check with your repair guy, he'd have had the lens apart to fix the shutter etc.

Ian
    You're probably right, but this is what I feared most. It's going to be my last resort. If all else fails and the consensus here is that it's the lens at fault, then I will certainly be sending it back to him. Thanks again Ian!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I got the exact same sort of look with a Rolleiflex where the lens elements had separated. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw your pics. Good luck with the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    wow, just my kind of images !

good luck getting it fixed ...

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The usual culprit is a lens element was put back in backwards.

Funny that people pay good money for Petzvals when the same effect can be had by taking a junker lens and reversing or removing an element.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    The usual culprit is a lens element was put back in backwards.

Funny that people pay good money for Petzvals when the same effect can be had by taking a junker lens and reversing or removing an element.

+1 for this. Got the same effect on a Yashica-Mat where the second element was put in backwards after a CLA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And to think that I bought a Lensbaby Muse just fir that very purpose!
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin