Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,983   Online: 782

Shooter
    35mm

Fuji GSW 690 Versions I,II and III Versions : Coatings and Other Differences

Hi,

I have a Fuji GSW 690 Version I and am contemplating a second body for a project in the Himalayas. I have a few questions about the later versions.

1. Were the Coatings changed? My version I says EBC coated but perhaps the coatings improved over the years in which case I'll try to get one with the later coatings.

2. Any differences in flare performance? The hood designs changed and perhaps that would make a difference.

2. If some of you've had or handled different versions could you please suggest the pros and cons of the different versions.

Thanks,
    Santanu

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've owned both the Fuji GSW690II and GSW690III--there's very little difference between them. The lens coatings look identical and so do the ridiculous built in hoods. The III has pop out film spool spindles that make film a little easier to load, but they seem a little flimsy. The II felt a little more solid and although the rangefinder was supposed upgraded on the III, I haven't notice any big difference. I'd buy the least expensive camera in the best possible condition you can find and not worry about the version.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Barry,
    Thanks. The film release and reloading on the version one does take longer but I am quicker with practice. Nonetheless faster loading would be nice.
    I got the version one (usually the cheapest now) after looking at the hood designs. the later hoods look like they get in the way of the aperture/shutter rings. And surely the rectangular hood is more effective.

Since there is so little info on the web about the first version I kind of assumed that the lens coatings (or something else) must have improved to much better ones in 20 years of evolution.

- Santanu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've shot with both the I and the III and can say that my slides don't look any different whatsoever. Neither did the BW negs. Honestly though, the I feels much sturdier than the III, although, out of personal experience, I know the III can fall down the Grand Canyon and still be absolutely perfect (whoops). Other than that, comparing a BMW 325i to a 328i as an analogy.
    Last edited by Klainmeister; 02-17-2011 at 12:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow! I wonder which one of those BMWs would survive a fall down the Grand canyon!

Thanks! Your experience with the first and last models makes it clear that optics are not "different".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin