Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,486   Online: 915

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Buying my first Leica

I am planning on getting either a M4 or M2, leaning toward the 4. I plan on getting a 35mm lens, probably a Zeiss ZM. Which M would you recommend? From what I've read, the M3 needs the goggles for a 35mm lens....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd recommend the M4, so that demand for M2's does not increase!

But seriously, if 35mm is "your" lens, then go for the M2. They are cheaper, and some will argue better in build quality than the M4-2's. If you think you might want room for a 28mm some day, and/or prefer having a large "gutter" in your viewfinder, go for an M4-P or M6 IMO.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-17-2011 at 05:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an M4 and the ZM f2 35 Biogon. It's a wonderful combination that will keep you smiling for years.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Although I don't have an M4, the ZM f/2 Biogon is a beautiful, beautiful lens to my eye.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    M2 and I would take a look at the 35mm Voigtlander options

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...efinder-Lenses

Shooter
    35mm RF
    M2

Images
    M2 or M4, either is great.

The loading on the M4 is very fast, if that matters to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say that an M4 is a better user: better rewind knob, no resetting the frame counter - probably more expensive though.

While Zeiss ZM lenses are as good as, or perhaps better than, Leica equivalents, they are hard to find used. I'd choose according to price: a used Leica might well be a better deal than a new Zeiss ZM.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Medium Format
    M2 for 35
    M3 for 50

If speed of film loading is a concern, just get a spare take up spool. Preload film and dump it in. Beats any M4/5/6/7/P for speed.
    Plenty of used 35 ZM's for sale via rff/fm/getdpi.

It is rare that a company gets it right the first time, but Leica did with the M3. From then one, cost cutting started to set in (couple of my family members worked there for 30+ years, great stories). Compare the VF of the M3 to that of an M4 and you will see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Again I vote for M2. Is this not a voting thread.... No?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin