Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,712   Online: 1213

Shooter
    Multi Format

Voigtlander Bessa R2/3A Vs. Hasselblad XPan

Hi I am considering getting a camera which I will be mainly using for street / documentary photography. However I'm torn between which of the two in the title I should aim to getting. I will have a chance to borrow both the R2a and the xpan off my friend before I go out and buy one but until I am able to borrow them I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to let me know about them both if you have used both of them and which you prefer and why? ... Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Minolta Autocord
    Shen Hao PTB

http://www.lewisrichards-photo.com

BA(Hons) Photographic Practice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These seem like radically different cameras in my opinion. Ok, maybe not radically but the Hassy is an ultra panoramic with a limited range of lenses whereas the Bessa is basically a standard 35mm rangefinder that accepts nearly a century of lenses.

Personally, the Hasselblad seems like a lot of fun, but for a practical 24x36mm I"d go for a Bessa. I think you could however do some very interesting street photography with the Xpan.

edit: Isn't there a substantial price difference as well?
    Last edited by holmburgers; 03-02-2011 at 12:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    The Bessa is smaller and lighter, but not much lighter.
    The X-Pan is a marvelous camera and the ability to go wide for one or two frames when desired is a tremendous asset. It is the one camera in my past which I wish I had not sold.
    Both have excellent, highly accurate meters.
    Given the choice I would go with the X=Pan.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For me, I'm all set for 35mm cameras, so the XPan would be different enough to attract my attention.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yea wow ...

XPan would be nice to have since you can do pana's with it. Great glass, but limited choices of lenses. Well built.

I like Bessa's and the lens choice is wide and varied. Bodies aren't as well built but not shabby.

Price difference will be steep .. used XPan's still command a good price, and the glass even more so.

For the street aesthetic and kind of shooting I think either would make a great tool (if money is no object)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought that having the option of being able to go pano with the camera would be a nice addition in some street photography. But then we might end up with the possibility of having too much open wasted space in a photograph. But it does shoot normal 35mm too. The lack of lenses isn't really an issue to me as I don't usually have loads of different lenses as I like to work to a fixed range. Having the Xpan with 45mm and a 90mm I think it is is probably enough. At least I will be able to have a try of them before I go out and buy one.
    Minolta Autocord
    Shen Hao PTB

http://www.lewisrichards-photo.com

BA(Hons) Photographic Practice

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin