Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,730   Posts: 1,515,254   Online: 838

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

leica 50mm elmar f2.8 (type 1) vs. voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 sc

My searches have come up very little about both lenses in comparison with one another. I hope im not insulting any leica fanatics with this comparison.

Other than the obvious difference of being able to shoot 2 stops faster. How do they compare?

How do they compare in terms of contrast? Compactness? Usability? I also like the idea being able to focus just that little bit closer at 0.7m instead of 3.5 feet (1 meter - my elmar doesnt have the metric focus scale.)

what other differences might i expect to see with thesr lenses?
    I much apreciate your constructive comments. Thanks
    im using a voigtlander r3m
    film delta 400. (ill be switching to hp5 once i finish these last rolls though to match my lf camera film.)
    i use yellow filters standard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Have you tried http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/lens-reviews.htm for an opinion?

Essentially I don't think you can compare these two lenses, they are complementary.

And am I right in reading that you use a yellow filter continuously? If so some of the lens characteristics are masked in my experience and the voightlander may be more usable as you sacrifice a stop with your filter. I use the 40mm summicron and and find that focal length ideal.
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately the lenses are so different you will have to do your own tests. Buy/borrow/rent each lens, shoot with them and then decide which one you like best.

This is dangerous to do! Since both lenses are so different that you might end up liking both lenses and keeping them.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Racing Mercedes to Toyota

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

If you only use f/5.6 or smaller you might only detect that the Leica lens has softer corners. Wide open it is low contrast, and you should detect that.

Basically it is priced as a collector.

The CV will be pretty good at f/2 or smaller.

Either lens will need their dedicated hood or a 'Heavy Star' clone, they are both SC lenses.

Noel

Shooter
    Large Format
    I keep it in mind. Ill add the hood to my shopping list. And some 43mm coloured filters.

ive read kenrockwell multiple times just to make sure i didnt mention anything. He does mention that the elmar is single coated. However he would never touch voigtlander like a pile of my grandfathers stinky underwear. Plus he doesnt do his own printing and he rarely talks about film. it is questionable as to whether he still shoots film. Ive read his comments, but i take hit with a grain of salt

I did end up getting the cv to add to my little collection. I think im at a point in ability where i can begin to discern subtle changes in contrast and tones. (started darkroom printing 2 months ago. Had the elmar for 10 months bought the cv yesterday.)

ill do my own experiments and try to get some results. I choosr these two lenses for their similarities and their differences. Hopefully this will give me better knowledge as to previsualizing yhe picture im trying to achieve.

Thanks to everyone who has helped. Im still open to constructive critism. Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Racing Mercedes to Toyota
    So Mercedes is a loser.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    So Mercedes is a loser.
    Jeff
    It was probably this Toyota.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    It was probably this Toyota.
    Dang gone! I do have a Toyota Pickup that has over 300,000 miles and still runs!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dikaiosune01 View Post
    ill do my own experiments and try to get some results. I choosr these two lenses for their similarities and their differences. Hopefully this will give me better knowledge as to previsualizing yhe picture im trying to achieve.
    Indeed, Ken Rockwell must be read with a pinch of salt!

Good luck with the CV, I'd be interested in your findings.
    Regards
    Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin