Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,633   Posts: 1,648,082   Online: 918

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am an archaeologist and newly finished tool making , tool shape and detail selection to intelligence link book. If you look in to paleolithic stone tools which humanity works on them for 3000000 years , you find older ones are bigger and less details on them and new ones smaller and every corner hand tooled .

If you look at them , you find that range finder cameras with little lenses like Leica is the most linked to our stone tools. And people agree to that toolmaking impact on our progress of intelligence , brain organization , thinking and creating habits.

There is two options , bigger camera users are idiots because tool making points that or geniuses because they went one step more on Darwin selection but their photographs do not indicate this.

I find more happy myself when holding a Leica but not with EOS.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have used everything from 8x10 to Leicas... Leica is the only camera to let me down twice, with dragging shutter curtains in 20°F weather.
    After playing with a very fine Canon P, I decided funky framing issues with telephoto lenses and such, that I was missing many shot I would have just grabbed with a Nikon F, or similar tool.
    As far as image quality and compactness, the Hasselblad system with 80mm and 150mm are hard to beat.
    The Hasselblad SWC is the best non-retrofocus wide known to man (I do not own one... but borrow one from time to time. I know a guy that mounted it on a view camera and used it with 8x10 film.
    For general cary around fun, I like a TLR... but still know the SLR is the way to go for best framing of my vision up close.
    I have no issue with shutter lag, and while the mystique of the Rangefinder draws us in, generally the SLR was made to solve all the deficiencies of the mostly more primative rangefinder.
    Yet the 8x10 camera is the ultimate tool at capturing life or the essence of the experience on a 2 dimensional sheet, a window on a past reality... a clock for seeing.

I stand by to be flamed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In my experience, RF lenses from 50mm and down tend to be smaller and have less distortion than their SLR counterparts. Part of the size difference is that most RF lenses are manual focus still; part of it is because of design. RF wides generally seem to have more vignetting to me as well.

As far as sharpness and contrast goes, I think that has less to do with the differences between RF and SLR design nowadays (if it ever did) and more with the resources a particular company decides to pout into a particularly design.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Dan ,

This is the funniest post mail I got in my life Thank you very much.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    The Hasselblad SWC is the best non-retrofocus wide known to man (I do not own one... but borrow one from time to time. I know a guy that mounted it on a view camera and used it with 8x10 film.

I stand by to be flamed.
    I won't flame you directly, but your guy is having you on.

I have a 38/4.5 Biogon in Copal #0 that I use on a Century Graphic. The lens covers 84 mm with good sharpness and illumination, cuts off completely at around 87 mm. Puts absolutely nothing at all in 2x3's corners.

On 8x10 it would make a circular image 84 mm in diameter. Massive waste of film on 8x10. Is there an 8x10 camera on which it can be focused to infinity?

38/4.5, 45/4.5, 53/4.5, and 75/4.5 Biogons made to Bertele's 1952 (or is it '53?) patent are old designs. There are better -- sharper, less distortion -- wide angle lenses nowadays. I adore my 38 Biogon, have no delusions that it is the best.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Dan ,

This is the funniest post mail I got in my life Thank you very much.

Umut
    My wife sings along with that while driving

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I saw the 8x10 negs... It was a photo-prof. Perhaps it was not a Biogon off a swc but another Biogon... but that's what I was told.

I also knew that guy to have "smoked" a few.

.... no more quoting stuff from people that lived the 1960's to the fullest.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ian ,

I said my mother and she started to sing all song in French. It is even better.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I saw the 8x10 negs... It was a photo-prof. Perhaps it was not a Biogon off a swc but another Biogon... but that's what I was told.

I also knew that guy to have "smoked" a few.

.... no more quoting stuff from people that lived the 1960's to the fullest.
    The longest Biogon is the 75/4.5, covers around 170 mm. Your smoker no doubt had a wide angle lens, but if it covered 8x10 it wasn't a Biogon. There are many wide angle lenses longer than 75 mm, some made to ancient designs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin