Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,615   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Werra sticky shutterDoes any one know

Does anyone know where I can get my Werra camera serviced with a CLA? The shutter is a Prontor with speeds from bulb to 1/750 and all the speeds under 1/60 seem to be sticking.
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I don,t know where you are located, but if you are in the UK or possibly Europe then the best place I know of is newtonellis.co.uk I have recently had a Werra serviced by them and they did a very good job indeed, in fact I use them for all of my classic cameras, and I don't think there is anything they cannot fix,Richard

I think the shutter is a Prestor, not Prontor; it has two sets of blades, one set for opening and the other for closing, thus offering a higher top speed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'd have to check, remember there was still co-operation between East & West German camera & lens manufacturers until the mid 1950's when the Communists broke all ties.

Werra's are cult camera's quite innovative at the time which is why I'm sure Denise would like it working again.

It needs remembering that many features we take for granted with modern cameras came from East Germany, the first full 35mm SLR system with motor drive was a Praktina, the first camera with TTL metering was the Prakticamat. Werra were part of that culture.

BTW Denise is not from Ambridge

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 03-12-2011 at 01:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    The werra's with the top speed of 750 used a prestor shutter,which were made in house,early examples used a compur,but when Zeiss Ikon would no longer supply Carl Zeiss with shutters they produced an in house shutter, The werra were very innovative, and ahead of their time and are lovely cameras that take great photographs today, I have 2,a werra mat and a werra 3 complete with the extra lenses,and I use them reguarly, they have both been serviced by Newton and Ellis,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A classic solution, especially if yours is an interchangeable lens model, is a drop or two of lighter fuluid on the shutter blades and then cycle many times.

Whle not as good in the long run as a real CLA, I've gotten the low speeds of many central shutters (including, IIRC, a Werra or a Werramatic) to fire accurately.

Werras are interesting cameras and I used one for a while, but couldn't get used to its ergonomics...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you want the contact information for a repair person, tell us your country. Otherwise, it's a waste of time to suggest a U.S. location if you're in Australia or someone in the U.K. if you live in the U.S.

And that is a Prestor, not a Prontor. These were made in East Germany.

The story is that when the Soviets repatriated the Germans who had helped them set up operations in Kiev (not 100% certain about the location), Carl Zeiss Jena in East Germany now had a lot of extra people, who eventually developed the Werra.

I'd have to go back and read the article again to see how accurately I've remembered it -- or not.

In any case, there were numerous models. Some had rangefinders. Some didn't. Some had meters. Some didn't. Some had rangefinders and meters. Some had neither.

I have a nice Werra 3 (rangefinder but no meter). Excellent camera with true interchangeable lenses.

The rangefinder system is incredibly complex. And removing the top deck is no simple matter either.
    Last edited by elekm; 03-14-2011 at 07:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    The story is that when the Soviets repatriated the Germans who had helped them set up operations in Kiev (not 100% certain about the location), Carl Zeiss Jena in East Germany now had a lot of extra people, who eventually developed the Werra.
    The story I got was, technicians disgruntled at being "left behind" in the East (when Zeiss was re-incorporated in the West, they apparently got a number of people from Jena to come over), wanted to show what they could achieve.
    If true, perhaps they were the same ones who returned from Kiev.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    The story I got was that the technicians, released by the Russians, drifted back to Carl Zeiss Jena, but there was nothing for them, but they were considered to good to lose, so they were given the old Zeiss factory and given the task of making a camera, and they came up with the Werra, which was perhaps over designed, but they were determined to pay back Zeiss's faith in them, and they certainly came up with a beautiful and, for it's time, unique camera, and a lovely tool for taking great photographs, I have 2 and love using them both,

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be fascinating to know if anyone knew for *certain* which of the "stories I got" was what really happened.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin