Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,988   Online: 783

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M3 or M2?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the M3 and an M6, but no M2. The M3's viewfinder is better for 50mm than anything else, the M6 included. As pointed out by numerous posters above, the M3 lacks 35mm and 28mm viewfinder lines. I find the M6's 28mm lines almost unusable, because they are so far toward the outer edges, and I use Leica's 21mm-28mm adjustable viewer for 28mm and 21mm lenses. I also use a Voitlander 35mm viewer with my M3, and I shoot 35mm a lot, probably as much as I shoot 50mm. I don't find the external viewfinders to be much of a problem. I guess I've shot enough with my IIIc not to mind switching back and forth for rangefinder and viewfinder. If I had to get rid of one of my M bodies, it would be the M6.

Others here are doubtless more knowledgable than I, but I have also read that the M3's viewfinder is much better, but mechanically more complicated than the cheaper-to-manufacture mechanism that Leica began using with the M2 and has continued to use to date. It also has a .92 magnification vs. the .72 magnification in the M2 and most successors; thus, is more precise in focusing 50mm and longer focal lenths because of the higher effective rangefinder distance. I am sure that the M2 is no slouch either, so it probably comes down to whether having the 35mm framelines is important to you.

Regarding cleanup of the viewfinder in the M3, I saw a recommendation for Sherry Krauter, which I can second. I bought my first M3 from her, which she had overhauled, and she does excellent work.

agw

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, one could say that two M3s and one M2 is slightly more than absolutely necessary. OTOH, keeping one M3 and M2 each completely makes sense. I myself intermittently use an M3 and M4 - M3 for 50, M4 for 35, depending on which length I'm in the mood for.

Oh well, if you'd like to use different 50ies for different image characteristics, there's no good reason to get rid of one of the M3s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jimbot,

You need at least one for black & white film and one for color. Then too you should really have both high and low speed black & white and both high and low speed color! There is nothing like the force of GAS.

Just be glad that you did not buy three Hasselblads in a week.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmmm, 3 Hassies in a week? Yes I've done that before too.

Wow thank you all for this great info.

Very much appreciated.Lots to digest.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbot View Post
    Hmmm, 3 Hassies in a week? Yes I've done that before too.
    Felt great. Right?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well...Yes...Yes it did.

I am clearly prone to bouts of G.A.S. from time to time.

At this stage I am planning to send the M3 with the dull RF off for a service and once it is returned decide on one of the M3s to keep. The M2 is a keeper.

I have run a test film through each of the M2 and bright RF M3 and am awaiting their return.
    I find that I am spending an inordinate amount of time just handling these cameras, enjoying the feel of them in my hands and fiddling with their levers etc.
    I was the same when i first acquired a Hasselblad. They just have more "heft" than the digitals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The negative quality is a lot better than digitalis!

My bad!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Jimbot,

You need at least one for black & white film and one for color. Then too you should really have both high and low speed black & white and both high and low speed color! There is nothing like the force of GAS.

Just be glad that you did not buy three Hasselblads in a week.

Steve
    Three in one week? I hope you aren't married, or have an understanding wife.

Jimbot: I like the M2. I shoot mostly 35mm, love the finder. I don't worry about the resetting frame counter, forget it half the time anyway. I would like to get another M2, but I have spent way too much already this year.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An M2 for 35mm lenses; an M3 for 50mm lenses.

However, an M2 is really not bad with a 50mm. Sometimes it is actually kind of nice composing with a big "gutter" around your frame. (I use a Bessa R, which has a viewfinder for a 35mm lens, but I use a 50mm lens on it.) But with a 50, the image will be larger, and focusing will be a bit easier on the M3.

So I would keep one of each and sell the dingy one so you do not have to bother paying to get it cleaned.

But if you never use a 35mm lens, I would keep the nicer M3 and sell the other M3, and the M2.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    as ChipMcD has written, the rangefinder of the M 3 is completely different from the M 2 and all newer types. It is considered as the exactest of all M's, especially for the 135 mm lenses and it has no flare by bright light from outside the frame like the newer ones. Some M 3 viewfinderss show separation of prisms and some have a yellowing viewfinder. If it is only dirty, it can be cleaned, but I think it will be difficult to repair a separated or yellowed viewfinder. Leica has no spare viewfinders for the M 3. Very early M 3's have a doubble-stroke transport-mechanism, the later cameras have single-stroke, which is more comfortable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin