Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,233   Online: 735

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Canonet III QL17 Repair & Batteries

GAS got me again! I just bought a black Canonet III QL17 and I need some info. Item 220762480826 on the bay.

The seller says the camera is in great user shape (but a bit brassy) but I assumed that I would have to send it in for a CLA, new seals, and a meter adjustment.

1. Who is the go-to repair person when it comes to servicing the QL17? Can they adjust the meter to use alkaline or siver oxide batteries?

2. Anyone know where I can get the proper lens hood? I've seen a listing for a Hood 4 and a Hood 5 but I'm not sure if both will work with the QL17. Which one is the best shade to get?

This will be used with B&W film with a yellow filter - HP-5 of course!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aoresteen View Post
    GAS got me again! I just bought a black Canonet III QL17 and I need some info. Item 220762480826 on the bay.

The seller says the camera is in great user shape (but a bit brassy) but I assumed that I would have to send it in for a CLA, new seals, and a meter adjustment.

1. Who is the go-to repair person when it comes to servicing the QL17? Can they adjust the meter to use alkaline or siver oxide batteries?

2. Anyone know where I can get the proper lens hood? I've seen a listing for a Hood 4 and a Hood 5 but I'm not sure if both will work with the QL17. Which one is the best shade to get?

This will be used with B&W film with a yellow filter - HP-5 of course!
    With respect, is it really worth the bother with so much 35mm gear floating around?

Shooter
    35mm
    As far as the battery is concerned, I would go for this solution:

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/batt_adapt_us.pdf

I myself bought recently a Canon Canonet QL19 GIII and have already contacted Rick Oleson for a ready-to-use adapter, he's going to make a new batch in a few days and I'll order one.

As far as the lens hood is concerned, I have read somewhere and seen pictures of a hood produced by Vivitar which also incorporates a UV filter. It looks great on this camera, but it has two shortcomings:

- It skews the light meter reading, so if you rely on the internal light meter this is not a very good idea;
    - It partially obscures the vision through the viewfinder.

My experience with this kind of small cameras is that it is better to hold the camera and push the shutter button with one hand only, and project a shadow over the camera with the other hand.

Hope it helps
    Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    With respect, is it really worth the bother with so much 35mm gear floating around?
    You bet it is!!! I need a compact travel camera that I can keep with me that I don't have to worry about much. I need manual speeds/f-stops, filters, and a fast 35 to 50mm lens. I've looked at Olympus, Yashica, Canon, Konica, Rollei, Petri, etc and the Canonet QL17. When I saw this one I jumped.

I have a lot or 35mm equipment - Leica RF, Nikon/Contax RF, Olympus OM, Contaflex, Contax RTS, and those cameras are either to heavy or too dear to keep in my briefcase all the time.
    Plus this one will pair nicely with my RTS with the 85mm f/1.4 Zeiss lens.

I like to have my cameras serviced so I know that they are working properly. If a CLA costs me $125 that's ok as I assume I'll get five years out of it. That's pennies a day (7¢ a day).

Others may not want to spend the money. Kinda like fixing an old car. I tend to fix them while others will trade them.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No on the nice circular metal hood marked "Canon made in Japan CANONET", it's for an older model. Its 2 1/4 inch inside diameter is too big for your 48mm filter outside diameter which is around 2 inches.

Yes on the plastic "CANONET HOOD 5" "CANON JAPAN". The box numbered A-0475.
    This one has a flat top and bottom with a cutout through the back upper-left which is carefully shaped so that you can see right through the viewfinder. To pack it away, turn it around and fit it onto the plastic lenscap.

Filters have an effect on the meter needle, because they block a portion of the sky (which you probably didn't want in the meter reading anyway). The hood has a strong influence on the meter needle Depending how much sun and sky it's blocking. I watched the needle go up about 1 stop when the field of view is evenly illuminated (example f/11 to f/8). When aimed with the sun in the field of view of the meter but blocked by the hood (by design) the needle went up 4 stops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes it is worth servicing, especially a black one. I never noticed much difference in exposure using an alkaline battery, compared to the mercury one. For those doing super critical work the way to fix it is to put a voltage regulator in the camera, but then an on camera meter is not much use for super critical work anyway, and the meter does not work on manual either, I suggest a small hand held meter an forget about batteries.

Sorry, I can not recommend anyone as I do my own service work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Generic rubber screw in hoods (46mm IIRC) are available. I've never heard of a "go to" person for the Canonet like I've seen for Olympus, Pentax, Yashica. I'd love to find out if there is one as I have a couple of working ones and a couple of non working ones. I know there's a lot of interest in the GIIIs at Rangefinder forum, so perhaps look there if you haven't already.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black ones don't come so often, nice find!

I've opened a few in the past and they were not pleasant to work on
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Large Format
    The hood which came with one of my G-III QL17's is labeled "CANONET * HOOD * 4" and "JAPAN". It's secured to the rim of the lens or filter with a little screw, and has a cutout which can be positioned to minimize finder blockage. Unfortunately, the plastic out of which it's made feels pretty fragile; if your cameras get banged around a lot in use, it might not last long.

You bet it's worth repairing. I'll be interested too, to learn of a repair person who's especially good with these - I've got one that could use an overhaul.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just got done sweating over this. In case it happens to you. Mine got a stuck shutter last week while looking over these posts.

I "knew" it was something that had happened before - and that it "recovered" from it before, but this time it seemed like I'd really need to send it in for repair. I set the shutter to B - now it wouldn't come out of B, I set the self-timer. Now everything was wedged.

Then this evening, doing homework with my daughter, I decided to just "play" with it. I went through winding, "firing", opening the back and repeat. Before she finished her work, I hear bzzzzzz...

It's fine now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin