Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,705   Online: 718

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Viewfinder/focusing with Yashica Electro 35 GTN

Hi all,

I picked up a great condition GTN at a car boot sale for £2.50 last summer, but never got round to using it. Probably due to the focusing system, so here's my question. I don't know the proper terminology, but it seems like the orange 'focusing image' that slides over the actual frame in order for you to focus, is very small in the center of the finder. It seems quite a small area to me - is that right? People say how quick and easy Rangefinders are to use, so it it just a case of getting used to it? Might be a good chance to check out the metering today if I take it out with me.

Cheers,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is how most (if not all) rangefinders work; there is just a small area that has the split images.

As far as easiness, I think it depends on the person and the situation. I have never found rangefinders easier or faster to focus than SLRs. But I still like using them for the convenience factor in certain situations. When I have time to take a little while longer to focus every shot, and D of F preview or perfect framing are not super important, I like using them, because they have the feel of a point and shoot in terms of size, but most of them give you a lot more quality and control than a P&S. And two of my favorite lenses that I have ever used are RF lenses (Leitz Summar and Summitar).

The Yashica Electros are some of my favorite rangefinders. You got a good camera for a good price, assuming everything works.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-09-2011 at 03:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I'll give it a run today

Yes I was pleased with the price, and I did a double take when I opened the case to see what was inside - I had been looking at them that week, then came across the flagship model at a carboot! I DIY'd the battery retrofit and cleaned up the dust inside the finder and it's very clean now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Took it out today - will have to get it developed on Monday and see how we did Took me so long to focus each shot!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Check those foam seals. You might need to replace them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I replaced the hinge seal when I first got the camera - just with a strip of felt. Not sure about the other seals, but we will see when I get the film back. Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It works

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great shot! Wubba wubba!...

To make the rangefinder patch easier to see, you could put a colored gel over the RF window. This will color the center patch, and potentially make it easier to see.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, that's a good tip I'll give it a go. I think I'll stick to SLRs and TLRs for the time being though as I'm a bit quicker! Saying that I am pleased and quite surprised with the results and auto accuracy of the GTN. The out of focus areas on one of the low lights tests @1.7 were very smooth while the subject was sharp, which is something I definitely like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree, the Yashica is certainly a capable camera. I bought my GF one and it's a great starter camera. It's kinda too big to really justify its use over an SLR, but I guess it is quiet, for what that's worth. Good luck!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin