Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,741   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Alpa Reflex Mod. 6

Hello,
    So i received a box full of darkroom equipment from a friend a few days ago, and among the box was an Alpa Reflex Mod. 6 camera. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about these cameras. I just looked on ebay, and one was selling for about a grand, all scratched and marred up. Mine is in excellent condition, not more than a small scratch to be seen, Everything works perfectly, and i got two lenses for it! So who knows about these? I read on Photo.net (please don't try and strangle me for saying this ) that some people prefer these to leica's and consider the optics better! Although i'd doubt this, as leica's are the legendary standard for quality, how nice exactly is this camera? It does not have a light meter, which tells me it must be from the 50's. Who knows about these things? I feel like i just fell apon a gold mine, even more so than when I was given a nikon f2 for free...
    All opinions/answers/experience apprieciated
    -Austin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Alpa 35mm reflex cameras were very expensive and very desirable in their day, and the optics were made by companies like Angenieux, that make some of the best high end cine lenses. Take care of it!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There seems to be more people collecting them than using them today (hence the price).
    Good luck with it and congratulations on your find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    well i ran a roll through it today, pretty nice camera to use, wierd to load though. I accidentally had the shutter half-open the whole time for rewinding, but the lens has a very tight lens cap on it, so i think it's probably ok. Plus i did rewind it indoors. I'll process the roll sometime this week, i'm excited to see the results, it is a very fine optic lens. I read a photo.net post saying that some people have retrofitted lenses from the alpa's to their leica body's. People on photo.net just said that they prefer the ergonomics of the leica, but that they are of equal qaulity. The alpa's are a swiss made camera, and obviously, the leica are german. However the glass in both the lenses i have is german glass. I'm ecstatic on my find! I'm super excited to have a RF. The only problem i have is a bunch of dust in the viewfinder. I'm wondering if it'd be a bad idea to try and get in there and clean out the dust. I'm a bit gun shy to, considering the cost of these cameras... and if i were to screw something up, i'd doubt i could find someone to fix it, let alone parts!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Luseboy View Post
    The only problem i have is a bunch of dust in the viewfinder. I'm wondering if it'd be a bad idea to try and get in there and clean out the dust. I'm a bit gun shy to, considering the cost of these cameras... and if i were to screw something up, i'd doubt i could find someone to fix it, let alone parts!
    Man, that Alpa is basically a jewel, you received it for free, you want to use it, well, if I were you I would think a good CLA by a competent technician is the least I can do to show Miss Fortune that I don't disregard her gifts

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Quote Originally Posted by Luseboy View Post
    Hello,
    So i received a box full of darkroom equipment from a friend a few days ago, and among the box was an Alpa Reflex Mod. 6 camera. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about these cameras. I just looked on ebay, and one was selling for about a grand, all scratched and marred up. Mine is in excellent condition, not more than a small scratch to be seen, Everything works perfectly, and i got two lenses for it! So who knows about these? I read on Photo.net (please don't try and strangle me for saying this ) that some people prefer these to leica's and consider the optics better! Although i'd doubt this, as leica's are the legendary standard for quality, how nice exactly is this camera? It does not have a light meter, which tells me it must be from the 50's. Who knows about these things? I feel like i just fell apon a gold mine, even more so than when I was given a nikon f2 for free...
    All opinions/answers/experience apprieciated
    -Austin
    Alpa shutters which have not been used for a while tend to taper. Check if your exposures are even side to side. In any case have it lubed in order to save it from more serious problems
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What lens came with it, can you include a shot of it?

Total dream find....
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll process the roll tonight and see how it looks! and where do i lube/what kind of lube should i use? I want to keep this camera cherry, but i's like to use it as well! And yes i am very happy with what was given to me! i can't believe it, first im given an f2 in mint condition, now this?! Very happy with that . I guess there is something good about being 17... lol. It came with a 50mm f 1.8 kern-switar, and a 300mm f 5.6 Heinz Kilfitt Munchen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would seriously recommend that you not lube it yourself! You might destroy/harm a very valuable camera. Very bad idea me thinks...

The 50mm f/1.8 Kern-Switar; I have seen this lens described as perhaps the best prime lens ever. I'm sure the 300mm is no slouch either... you got quite a setup here
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Luseboy,

Enjoy being 17 as much as possible !!!
    You'll certainly have some great stories,
    and some excellent cameras to share with your children,
    and grandchildren !

Easy with the grease gun, contact Essex Camera Repair instead.

Ron
    Last edited by M.A.Longmore; 04-12-2011 at 06:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin