Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,589   Online: 947

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    If you really want to use a rangefinder mainly for teles, you can get a model with a higher magnification viewfinder (in Leica's world that's 0.85 or get an M3).
    I think Cosina/Voigtländer also make a high-magnification model.
    The C/V Bessa R3A and R3M are both 1.00 magnification finders. They have a shorter RF baseline than most of the Leica M series and the newish Zeiss M mount rangefinder body. The R3M is the mechanical shutter version. (R3A has and electronic shutter and aperture priority autoexposure + manual exposure.) One of my favorite combos is an R3A with a C/V 75/2.5 and trigger winder. The trigger winder has a grip and gives me a better fit to my large hands, which extends my slow shutter range. (I'd probably have gotten the R3M, but bought the R3A before the M version was announced.)

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    “Best mechanical 35mm analog Range Finder camera “
    “Please recommend any camera that takes 80mm or above lenses.”

Leica MP with 90mm f/2 Summicron

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    I use Rangefinders, although not leica's, I have a Voightlander vitomatic, a couple of retina's and a contina with uncoupled rangefinder, all fixed lens, plus a MF Ensign commando 6x6/645, and with all the 35mm I have handheld down to 1/8 sec without problem, they are lighter, all mine have leaf shutters, and they lend themselves to low speed handholding,
    With a leaf shutter, you can certainly shoot at 1/8 without an issue. I have even gone to 1/4. Either way, I try to brace before firing. (and I would say that if 35mm were nor mechanical were in the thread title, I would say "Mamiya 7" is the answer).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    “Best mechanical 35mm analog Range Finder camera “
    “Please recommend any camera that takes 80mm or above lenses.”

I'd agree on the MP and 90mm combination although the summicron is a heavy lens, the lighter elmarit-m is a feather by comparison.

However if you are on a budget consider an older screw mount Leica, a IIIC is the most popular being reasonably priced and having the upgraded roller bearing shutter. Certainly a IIIF is a lovely machine but are a little more dear. Saving a little will allow you to shop around for a user 90mm.

The Leica LTM's are wonderfully tactile camera's appealing to the senses, knurled winders separate shutter speed dials for slow and fast speeds (depending on the model) Older models even have the shutter wind on drum visible in the lens mount. Simply it's all on the outside, it's a camera with character and a mechanical engineers charm. But the magic comes from making photographs with a piece of history!
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In my opinion, it's the Leica M3, no contest. Who wants an amateur three-LED light meter (like on the Leica MP) anyway? It doesn't show you anything about your actual exposure, it only enslaves you to turn knobs until the camera brain says your exposure will be "OK". The MP is "overpriced" because, in today's economy, this is what it costs to hand-build a precise opto-mechanical instrument using German elves :-) I like the fact that my 1960 M3 is still absolutely perfect in fucntion, it gives me confidence that it will remain this way for a long, long time. I also simply like the "look" (design) of the M3 more.

An M3 with no meter fosters creative freedom. It is ultimately the nicest-built of all 35mm rangefinders, ever, and the 0.91x viewfinder plus the wide base rangefinder plus the proper frame lines (not dinky partial lines like in all models that followed it) make it the one to use. Seriously, if you're going to inconvenience yourself with an old mechanical camera, do it properly - all other rangefinders offer a poorer compositional and focusing experience, no question about it.

That's been my experience, in anyway. Still, if you want a compositional and focusing experience that far exceeds a rangefinder in every way (accuracy, brightness, size of image, etc) you have to turn to certain SLRs. The OM-1n you have is close (the viewfinder is much bigger than any rangefinder). However, if you want greater clarity and brightness (as in, mind-blowing clarity and accuracy) get an OM-3 / OM-3Ti with an Olympus 2-series lumi-micron matte screen. Makes looking through an OM-1 or a Leica M3 look like mud water, it's that good.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
    Have you ever mounted a 90 on a MP, and then mounted the 90 on an M3 straight afterwards? You'd be crazy to prefer the MP finder if you want to shoot 90mm.

ped
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Without breaking the bank, the M4P is the best bet. Rock solid, cheaper than many other M series bodies, and does the same job. I would buy this body (find a good one) and save the rest for glass. In fact, that's exactly what I did!

ped

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You really can't buy the best of anything without spending some significant money. You don't have to spend a bizillion, but you won't get a best in class camera for chicken scratch.

Since you have a great SLR that does telephoto lenses well, why duplicate that? I never used a ZI, but I never read a bad thing about them. Plus, Zeiss never made a bad Biogon. Zeiss made lenses for Contax, Hasselblad, M Mount, and the Mars Rover Navcams are Zeiss Hologon/Biogon optics. The only camera I have now is an MP and two lenses, the 35 Lux ASPH and a 75 Lux. I used to have the 90/2.8 and a 135/2.8 but rarely used them. My next lens eventually will be a Zeiss super wide, the 18mm, or maybe the 25, or the 21, doesn't matter as I'm broke.

Have fun hunting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to experiment with the LTM concept on the cheap pick up a good FED or Zorki.

If it works for you then buy the Leica and unload the Russian stuff for the same money you paid.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Your Olympus has very good telephoto lenses available but if you want to try a rangefinder camera with a telephoto lens relatively cheaply then a Werra may be the answer. The Werra III, V or Werramatic have interchangeable Carl Zeiss lenses including a 100mm f4 Cardinar. If you are interested, here is a link to some info http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/werramatic/.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin